User Account issue

Cokehead

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
I recently reinstalled Windows 7 to minimize driver issues with some major hardware changes.

This has made many problems surface, but this one I have dealt with before - I just forgot what I did >:/

Every time I try to copy a file or do anything with a folder I didn't make this install (some of these go back to when I had Windows Vista), I can't seem to manage it - programs will throw up an error (or do nothing). I suspect it's a permissions issue, since I remember this being a problem last time I did a reinstall.

In short: How can I convince Windows 7 that this computer, and thus the hard drives in it, belong to me? How do I assume control?

Thanks

-Coke

Cokehead

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Not always, but it works on folders that don't have many subfolders. My 'games' folder, for instance, is pretty massive, and the command doesn't seem to quite give me ownership of everything.

Cokehead

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
They were ones that existed before the reinstall. Perhaps on other installations. But they only show up when I go to properties>security. Not elsewhere. To get rid of them, I would have to delete them from every folder these ghost usernames have access to, which is basically all of them.

Quick update: I did actually disable UAC. This has helped somewhat, but only when doing routine tasks, like copying files with the regular windows copier. If I try to use Teracopy, it doesn't work. If I run an older program that doesn't give itself admin privileges/does whatever magic newer programs seem to usee to not have to do this, it won't work.

The only thing that has fixed this so far is marking the directory as writeable to 'Everyone.' This seems like a bad move securitywise, though, as this means when I share a folder over my network, my friends can put files there. Which I don't mind generally, but some of them like to prank >_>