Can't remove the fricken bios

Decker87

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
My motherboard is an Abit NF7-S revision 2. For some reason I can't seme to remove the dang bios chip. I made a paperclip hook but it won't hook under any of the corners of the chip. It just moves up and down like there's no notch whatsoever. I tried all 4 corners. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

RichPLS

Champion
Man, cause it is good fiber! Obviously, it must be bad. Can you get an tech tip from mobo man?
Here is an excellent <A HREF="http://www.biosman.com/" target="_new"> resource </A> for replacing/upgrading your bios.
You will have a Dip or PLCC bios chip.
<A HREF="http://www.biosman.com/remove_plcc.html" target="_new"> Dip or PLCC Chip Removal </A>

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
I believe some are soldered on.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Decker87

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
But then why would the manufacturer sell bioc chips for this motherboard if the old one can't be removed?

Also..just to make sure...I'm trying to remove the chip that says "Winboard"...theres a beefy looking one that says Nvidia nForce...but thats the chipset, right?

RichPLS

Champion
Im not saying that one is, but even soldered ones can be replaced.

RichPLS

Champion
Very carefully as to not heat up board much. Not sure excactly.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
are you actually recomending to some one that doesnt already know how to remove a soldered on chip that they take a soldering iron to their board? rofl!

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

RichPLS

Champion
Sounds like it's not working anyway.