BIOS won't detect drives

Indus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Ok heres the situation. I bought a new Maxtor 160gb drive and removed a 80gb from my system. Put all the connections back together and powered up and it would not detect the HDD's, there are 3 total, and it wouldn't detect my dvd drive. I have a Asus A7V600 mobo, WD 20gb(primary 1st ide), then Maxtor 160gb(slave 1st ide) on the same ide channel, and my WD 40gb(primary 2nd ide), PX708A(slave 2nd ide).

I've checked the jumpers, taken all drive out of system and checked all wrires still will not detect any drive. It did detect the 20gb and the 160 a couple times but stopped soon after rebooting. I'm at the end of my rope and would appreciate any help asap seeing I don't have very much computer access from home now.

Thanks, Indus

Athlon XP 2600
Asus K7V600
Kingston 512MB PC3200
GeForceFX 5200 128DDR

RichPLS

Champion
Try them one at a time as master jumped, and check carefully again all bios settings pertaining to drives.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Indus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Bahh, I feel like such an idiot. It was jumper configurations, one of my WD drives didn't have the proper label description for the jumpers. All is good now though that I found the right setting.

Athlon XP 2600
Asus K7V600
Kingston 1GB PC3200
GeForceFX 5200 128DDR

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
That wouldn't be the first time. WD is a pain in the arse when it comes to that. Many times I've had to play musical jumpers. Lately they've been lableling the flip side of their drives. I just installed one today that was clearly labeled.

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.