For new PC: (SLi) DualOpteron or FX55

SAO

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004
Having a hard time figuring out which would the best elements mixed togther to make a outragous rig.

PC aimed mostly for a hardcore FPS gamer, not really into OC but ready to give it a try if i have the right reliable elements.

my most important question is : FX55 or Dualopteron 2xx for best performance/reliability?

My list at the moment.

CPU:
Dual Opteron +250(or better), if yes what watercooling system
Or FX-55, vapochill is my first option, unless you guys recommend me something else.
Mobo choices:
Iwill DK8ES (Dual/SLI)
A8N-SLI Delux (FX-55)
Anything better?

Taking in consideration the follwing in the list of my first choice, so if you have any suggestions in better elements pls mention them with a link.
PSU
-SilenX 520W iXtrema Pro
SLI
-BFG Nvidia 6800UltraOC x2 (watercooled 1/4)
SliCooling
-WaterChill KT91-L20 120mm
HardDisk
-Seagate Cheetah 15k4 x2
SCSI Adapter
-Adaptec --> info if compatible with the MoBo
HD cooling
-WaterChill KT92-L20 120mm
RAM
-twin2048-3200pro - For Athlon 64FX x2 (or better)

would like to make the system with minimum noise, and using certanly the UFO Xoxide case, for the extra 120fan holes where i could put in the radiators.

If you see any potential conflicts, or if you have any extra input that could help me out not to make mistakes, everything is welcome.

Thanks

:)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SAO on 11/28/04 07:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
- For FX55 and 4 two-rank (traditionally called double-sided) dimms would probably have to do things to reduce stress on memory controller like set command rate to 2T - decreases performance.

- Registered dimms required for opteron.

- 2GB would probably be the highest i would go. And in that case, two <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/ballistix/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=BL12864Z503&cat=" target="_new">Crucial Ballistix 1GB DDR500</A> modules considering the possibility of overclocking. 1GB is what i see most common on high-end systems.

- Between the two, would suggest the FX55 option.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
A program has to be specailly coded in order to take advantage of multiprocessor systems. Must games dont have these code optimisations so a dual CPU system will prob actually end up slower.