Budget MB advice required

fantrace

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I'm looking for a budget MB for a 2.66GHz P4 with 533FSB. Come up with a shortlist of 4 with the features I want, and that I can purchase locally for about £30 - £35 ($50 - $60) and am looking for comments as to which I should go for. They are:

Asus P4V8X-X (Via P4X533)
Gigabyte 8S648-RZ (SiS 648)
Asrock P4VT8 (Via PT800)
Aopen AX45F-4DN (SiS655FX)

I am tending towards the Asrock as it has slightly better potential upgrading possibilities. Is thsi a reasonable choice or might one of the others give a better performance?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah nah nah, bad choices, junk boards.

Asus made a good board in the P4S533, later SiS boards with newer features failed to pass my inspection due to a poor redesign.

If you want a REALLY GOOD inexpensive board, use a search engine to find the Gigabyte GA-8ISXT-FS. These are an OEM board produced for Fujitsu-Seimens PC's, and FS recently flooded the WORLD market with them. In the U.S. they sell for as little as $32.

The GA-8ISXT-FS included the Intel i865PE chipset (supporting up to 4 modules in Dual Channel mode), SATA, Firewire, digital audio outputs, and just about everything else you can pack on a midpriced board, and it's dirt cheap. Last google I did on that board (used 8ISXT as the search word) turned up distributors all over Europe, Asia, and even jolly old England.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cheepgeek

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004
don't know what features you want, but if budget is the main concern and it's not going to be a gamer, i would look at some mobos with onboard video. sound and lan are pretty much standard now. i haven't heard anything about the Radeon chipset (9100 i believe) but i have seen an asus mobo (P4R800 or something like that, maybe P4R800-VM) that is fairly inexpensive and has video, sound and lan onboard for around US$75 new. no SATA is my only real gripe.

ASUS P5P800
P4 530 3.0GHz
PNY FX5200 128MB/256bit
WD 74GB Raptor
512MB PC3200 2-2-2-5