xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
My current system had been working for about 5 month without problems, until today. I hadn't turned my computer on for a few days before this. Yesterday, I took out one of the memory chips to read the model number on it. Then put it back in. When I try to turn on the computer today, it wouldn't boot. I got a serious short beeps after power on.

Consulting the motherboard manual, the short beeps mean power error. I've searched this forum on "power error" but that post didn't help too much.

Here is my computer spec:
350w power supply
Gigabyte GA 8S648FX-L ( http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8S648FX-L.htm)
P4 2.8GHz Northwood
Curcial PC3200 256MB x 2
Hercules GeForce Ti 200 64MB (slightly over clocked)

I've tried booting without any drives, with each one memory chip.

I've submitted a tech support request to gigabyte via its website, but want to get some input here as well. What could I do to pin-point the problem (mother board, CPU etc), and if possible fix it. The MB is still under warrenty, hopefully I can get some partial refund or option to upgrade :\

Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, Windows or Linux, Netscape or IE, Baldur's Gate II or Counter-Strike, computer or women.

RichPLS

Champion
Try another PS in it see if it works. Your bound to know someone to let you borrow thier computer for a few hours.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Thanks. I actually have a 300w PSU from my old case laying around I can use. I'll try that when I get home.

But the case+PSU, along with the MB, memory, cpu are only about 5 months old. Seems odd if the PSU fails this soon.

Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, nVidia or ATI, Windows or Linux, Neverwinter Nights or Counter-Strike, computer or woman.

RichPLS

Champion
Is it a quality name brand?

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
No, it came with the case. case + psu was like $30. I liked the design of the case when I was shopping for one, haa.

Any recommendations on PSU if that was the cause of the problem and I need to get a new one?

Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, nVidia or ATI, Windows or Linux, Neverwinter Nights or Counter-Strike, computer or woman.

RichPLS

Champion
Yeah, your PSU is fried. Fortran or Antec True are good choices and conservativly priced.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortran is a programing language. Fortron Source is a power supply producer. Antec is a brand of Channel Well power supply, only those units based on the True Power are better than average, everything else they make sux. Enermax falls slightly behind the True Power (and supplies based on it) but significantly ahead of Antec's lower priced units.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Thanks guys! I didn't have the chance to work on my computer last night. I'll definatly test it tonight and report back the result.

cheepgeek

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004
i don't wanna be too offensive, but did you turn off the PSU or unplug it from the wall when you removed the memory stick? if the mobo still had juice running to it and you pulled the mem stick you could have damaged the PSU or even the mobo itself. if the new PSU fixes the problem then it's cool. but ass-uming you didn't turn it off before... well... don't do it that way again

ASUS P5P800
P4 530 3.0GHz
PNY FX5200 128MB/256bit
WD 74GB Raptor
512MB PC3200 2-2-2-5

xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Yeah, I always turn off/unplug the PSU switch before I work on my computer. I even use those grounding thingies that strap on my wrist on one end, and clip on the case on the other end to avoid static electric discharge.

RichPLS

Champion
Be sure to wear safety goggles too, and dust mask with rubber gloves. Cant be too carefull, ya know.

TRENDING THREADS