Outlook Express question

BigEmpty312

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
I was setting a computer for somebody. They have Earthlink dial up and was using Outlook Express on their old pc. I copied the address book and messages from the old pc to be transferred to the new pc. When I setup their new pc, earthlink made it their default email and when I tried to setup their Outlook Express, it's no longer there, Earthlink took its place. I cant figure out how to reinstall or get OE back in there.
Anyone know how to do this?
Thanks.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Oh, it's probably there, you just can't SEE it.

Open up your Start menu and look to the right. There may be an item there that says "Program Access and Defaults". If it's not there, then look under Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs and look at the left side of the window.

When open this thing, you'll find that it has choices that allow you to customize what programs are available for things like browsing and e-mail. I'm betting that you'll find that the Earthlink client is now set as the only w-mail program by default and that it locked out OE. You can change that.

However, be careful. I don't know if Earthlink allows external access to the e-mail address by a POP3 client like OE. You certainly wouldn't want to lock yourself out of your e-mail!

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
You're welcome :)

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>