xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I bought a PNY GF6800 from CompUSA because it was on sale; not really trusting PNY but thinking it couldn't be too bad. (http://www.pny.com/products/verto/performance/6800.asp) This board turns out to be a joke.

First glance at the board when I opened the box was nice and surprising, a fan and a big black heatsink covering most of the area in the front including memory chips, and a small heatsink attacked to the back of the gpu chip at the other side of the board.

Closer investigation found out that black “heatsink” was plastic. Yes, Plastic! The small “heatsink” looking thing at the back side of the board turned out to be a piece of plastic suspended about 1 or 2 mm from the board. What the heck was PNY thinking, using plastic to basically cover the whole board? To ensure the board never loss it’s heat? To keep the gpu and memory chips warm and closey in the winter??

Now, if PNY had to cut cost to make their video cards more affordable, that’s totally understandable. Maybe they could use a smaller heatsink, use cheaper fan, use lower quality memory (which I was sure they already did), I would understand; this card was about $50 cheaper than other cards after rebate. But using a big A** piece of plastic (!!) covering the small A** real heatsink and memory chips was really retarded to me.

Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, nVidia or ATI, Windows or Linux, Neverwinter Nights or Counter-Strike, computer or woman.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
This is the motherboard forum you small brainned person!

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature

RichPLS

Champion
ease up, he's doing the best he can, cant you see he bought a PNY card, surprized he is even able to post.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
He also posted the same exact thing in the graphic forum.

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature

RichPLS

Champion
*BASTAGE!*

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Tried to delete right after I posted...

Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, nVidia or ATI, Windows or Linux, Neverwinter Nights or Counter-Strike, computer or woman.

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Now had you read the Graphics Card Buyer's Guide/FAQ in the Graphics Card forum you never would have made such a purchase. It was none too kind to PNY.

PS I was nearly wooed by the same bargain at my local CompUSA, but Toms Hardware saved me. Thank you, Tom's Hardware...