Sign in with
Your question

Computer Performance Down 80% Since New Addition!

Last response: in Video Games
July 8, 2010 9:45:49 PM

Hi, Well I have a
Phenom II 945 Quad
PNY GTS 250
500gb HD
4gb DDR3 1600 Ram
Asus Mobo

I had a very crappy 680w psu and it fryed or the connectors went bad within 2 weeks of the purchase so i bought a better but 100w less psu.

Since the addition my FPS in wow Went from 100-150 On High Settings In Normal Areas and 40-60 In High Populated areas
to 30-50 on LOW settings in normal areas and 10-25 in High Populated areas on LOW settings. Now if there are any tests I could run what can I do?
July 12, 2010 3:03:46 PM

Howdy,

What is the make and model of your current power supply? Have you verified the PCIE power connection on the video card is securely connected?

Have you verified if FPS changes when running the game on low vs. high settings?
m
l
July 12, 2010 7:28:16 PM

obubdeno said:
Hi, Well I have a
Phenom II 945 Quad
PNY GTS 250
500gb HD
4gb DDR3 1600 Ram
Asus Mobo

I had a very crappy 680w psu and it fryed or the connectors went bad within 2 weeks of the purchase so i bought a better but 100w less psu.

Since the addition my FPS in wow Went from 100-150 On High Settings In Normal Areas and 40-60 In High Populated areas
to 30-50 on LOW settings in normal areas and 10-25 in High Populated areas on LOW settings. Now if there are any tests I could run what can I do?

Its Possible that the New Power Supply isn't cranking out enough Juice for your video card setup. You should be using around 70% Of your Power Supplies maximum output. So you have extra watts in case you need it during a full load, and it also extends the life of your power supply. I would see what the efficiency rating is of your power supply aim for around 85%-90%. Seasonic/Corsair/Pcpower and cooling/Thermaltake
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2010 3:06:28 PM

In what game?

Sorry WoW, i see it now. never mind.
m
l
July 13, 2010 7:42:19 PM

I have a feeling that when the previous power supply was "Fried" it most likely damaged some of your other components. If this is the case you'll most likely have learned a valuable lesson about cheap power supplies.

In order this is what I imagine is the issue,

Motherboard
Video Card
RAM
Hard Drive
Anything else.

Quote:
Your new psu has more than enough power for your setup.

So what is "better"? Still crap, but less crappy? Didn't learn your lesson the first time?

Possibly the connectors frying or whatever that means...damaged your video card or processor or even the mobo and ram.

Some people learn the hard way about purchasing crappy power sources to power their high quality components. Some don't learn at all.

Without the amperage it's not possible to tell if the Power Supply is good enough to power a GTS 250, which is really just a re-branded 9800 GTX+.
m
l
!