Don't be like me. Never, ever be like me.

Decker87

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I ask you only to keep from crying on your keyboard as you hear this story. It is a story about what not to do. It's ver, very sad.

It was a dark and stormy night and I was working angrily on my new computer. I had just gotten windows up and running and was beginning to overclock. Overclocking wasn't going well, and I couldn't even get past 2 ghz. It didn't seem to be working quite right, so I thought that maybe I should update the BiOS. Little did I know what trouble was in store for me. So I went ahead and downloaded the latest BiOS on my other computer and put it on a disk and took it downstairs. Little did I know that I downloaded the wrong version. So, I flashed it and it never posted again. Someone from these great forums pointed me to T-Mod's site and I thought I was saved. I looked at the pictures on his website, and saw that on his Bios chips page he had pictures of PLCC and DIP chips. They both had the "Winbond" logo on them. So, I figured I'd go down and try to yank that sucker out. So I hopped over to my motherboard with a paper clip PLCC remover...and found the chip with the little "Winbond" logo. It didn't look like it had much of a socket, but I was willing to give it a try. I couldn't ge tthe paper clip to latch onto anything. I heard about using fishing string, so I went and rented some heavy duty (35 lb) stuff and used that. I threaded it under the "Winbond" chip and pulled. It wouldn't come off. I looked down and saw that I had bent some pins, and ripped out a single piece of the board's circuitry. Figuring it was now ruined, I went ahead and just removed the damn thing. A couple days later I came back down and thought to myself: "Maybe not all Bioses say Winbond". So, I went and looked around my board once more only to find a nice little chip sitting inside a socket that said "Phoenix Bios" on it. I'm still not sure what the chip is that I pulled off. I may never know. It was close to the RAM and says Winbond. I managed to pull off the actual bios chip with ease a little bit later. I'm thinking about sharpening it to a very fine point and killing myself with it.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Supersilly guy. The Winbond chip was probably for motherboard monitoring functions. Winbond does not make BIOS chips.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

RichPLS

Champion
*sniff, sniff*

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, you don't pull off chips, you pull OUT chips. If a chip isn't socketed, you don't remove it. If a chip isn't socketed, it's soldered to the board and non-replacable. Some BIOS chips are soldered on, and non-replacable.

Also, most boards don't flash the boot-block. That means even if you put the wrong BIOS on them, they can usually be fixed. This involves putting the BIOS and flash utility on a CD and turning the computer on. Sometimes you have to hold down a key to force bios-recovery, I think it's the "home" key but I can't remember.

In any case, you made a repairable board non-repairable. Congratulations.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Well, ya live an learn, some just live...

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

cheepgeek

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004
hey ya know what... i'm willing to bet that everyone in the THG community has fried at least one compenent in their varied experiences.
i personally had a slot 1 board a long time ago that i got freebie from my uncle (ASUS P2B) with no slot brackets to hold the cpu in place. it ran fine on its side while i was waiting for the part to come in and i had the side of the tower off. i showed a buddy of mine the setup and told him "it's fine, i just don't like the fact that it moves a little" and i showed him that i could wiggle it. after the screen went blank and the mobo wouldn't post i went down to his room and ordered a "brand new" ASUS P3V4X.
everyone has ruined something through sheer stupidity
<b>welcome to the club!!!</b>

ASUS P5P800 - P4 530 3.0GHz
2x256MB PC3200 2-2-2-5 - WD 74GB Raptor
PNY FX5200 128MB/256bit

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I burnt toast once. Never fried an pc parts yet...although I've taken cd shrapnel in a fit of Microshit rage. Penetrated the eyelid but not the eyeball. Neat scar...almost looks like the Linux logo.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

RichPLS

Champion
<pre> ++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++ + ++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++ ++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
:::::::::,a@@a,:::::,a@a,++++++++++.
.ooOOOOOOOOOOo@@@@@@oOoOo@@@@@,++++++++/:.
o OOOOOOOOOOOOo@@@@@@@@@oOOo@@@@@@,++++++/:::
o oOOOOOOOOOOOOOo@@@@@@@@@@@oOo@@@@@@a ':::::::
oOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo@@@@@@@@@@@oOo@@@@@@@ :::::::
oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo@@@@@@@@@@@@oOo@@@@@@@ ::: ::'
oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo` '@@@@@@@@oOo` '@@@@ ,:' '
oOOOOOOO%%%%%OOOOo @@@@@@@@oOo @@@a
oOOOO;%%%.%%%OOOo. ,@@@@@@@oOOo. ,@@@'
oOOO%%%.%%%%%OOOoa@@@@@@@@oOOOo@@@@@'
OOO%%%.%%%%%%OOo@@@@@@@@oOOOOOo@@@' .,;%%%%%;.
OOO%%.%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%//%%%%%%%%%
OO%%.%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%;%%%%%%%%%%%%%%//%%%%%%%%%%%;
O%%.....';%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%;'
%%.............%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%;'
%%............`%%, """""""""""""
%%............%%;
%%...........%%;
%%%%%%%%%%%%%;
`%%%%%%%%%;'
</pre><p><font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________

Decker87

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I tried cutting a cd with a miter saw once. It burst into a thousand pieces, one of them projected through the sheetrock to the other side of the wall. I guess I'm pretty prone to experimentation, but I like it better than always doing things that are already pre-established.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
During my first build, about 4 years ago, back when NewEgg RMA's no questions asked, I did fry a board I think by lifting into the MoBo tray by the HSF. The board booted once then died. I'm pretty sure I was responsible for that one. I've done 3 builds since with nary a hiccup.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Mode_Locrian

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Heh, just recently I was building a new machine for my dad (the third machine I've built, so I'm still a noob), and I could not get it to POST. No signal to the monitor, no beeps, no nothing. It turns out that I somehow managed to not quite get the CPU all the way into the socket (which also explains why the HSF was so #@*%! hard to get on). I must have used a negative amount of insertion force I guess. Anyway, I was able to reseat the CPU, and I fortunatly didn't crack the core in forcing the HSF on the first time, so now everything works great.

I sure felt like an idiot, though. "Yeah dad, I'll build a new machine for you... it's easy." Heh.

ASUS K8V Deluxe SE | Athlon64 3200+ | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB | 2X WD Raptor 74GB (RAID0) | 2X OCZ 512MB (PC3200, 2336) | SB Audigy2 Platinum

RichPLS

Champion
I did that once. LOL

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°