Pavilion 6530 processor upgrade problem

I have a HP pavilion 6530 and attempted to upgrade the processor from
Celeron 433 t o 733 MHz as per the HP website support page. All
processor specs match.

I installed the chip but the system would not run. As soon as I put the
power cord in the machine turned on without pressing power button and
would not turn on the HD,keyboard or monitor.

System has upgraded memory but is otherwise original. With the original
processor reinstalled the machine runs fine

BIOS is original.

I suspect that the processor may be bad but I figured I would see if
somone had similar experience with a solution.

Thanks

Mark

No. The 733MHz Celeron processor requires either 1.65v or 1.7v, I forget which.
The Celeron 433 runs at 2.0v. If I had to place a bet on the cause, I would bet
that the motherboard does not support the lower voltage required by the Celery
733... Ben Myers

On 6 Jan 2005 12:28:00 -0800, mark5160@yahoo.com wrote:

>I have a HP pavilion 6530 and attempted to upgrade the processor from
>Celeron 433 t o 733 MHz as per the HP website support page. All
>processor specs match.
>
>I installed the chip but the system would not run. As soon as I put the
>power cord in the machine turned on without pressing power button and
>would not turn on the HD,keyboard or monitor.
>
>System has upgraded memory but is otherwise original. With the original
>processor reinstalled the machine runs fine
>
>BIOS is original.
>
>I suspect that the processor may be bad but I figured I would see if
>somone had similar experience with a solution.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark

Thanks for the information Ben.
I was unable to find an update for the bios and after reading the
manual for the motherboard it does not look like I will be able to get
this processor to work with it.

FWIW, the board would run just fine with a 533MHz Celeron, the highest speed
Celeron operating at 2.0v. Anything faster gets into expensive PowerLeap type
kits. The Intel 810 chipset on the motherboard supports 100Mhz front-side bus,
so a PowerLeap kit with a CPU up to 1.4GHz MIGHT work. Or the HP BIOS may get
in the way... Ben Myers