Kt4 ultra NVRAM nuisance

karaknic

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
I've had My KT4 ultra for about 2 years now and since a few weeks ago the boot up sequence seems to take forever. I have 3 windows installed but it was never a problem before. Basically it takes very long at the "checking NVRAM" bit then takes very long in the next screen where it shows some info on devices once th POST has finished and after about 20 seconds it finally gets to the screen where I choose my OS.

Normally getting to that screen took 2 seconds with vurtually zero time between the post finishing and the os screen coming up. Any suggestions ?

Try taking the memory out and cleaning it. then replace it. Dust build up is a common cause for this in older systems. They just get dirty inside.
If that does not fix the problem, download a program called memtest86 and run it in dos.

I aint signing nothing!!!

karaknic

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I did test it with a known good memory module and it didn't change anything. A strange thing is that the system is only slow if I shut it down/restart it properly from windows, if I press the reset button on the case it posts and boots as fast as before... so I don't think it's memory it must be Windows making some sort of changes perhaps someone knows something.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by karaknic on 12/01/04 05:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Windows isn't even loading that early in the boot process. Sounds like a BIOS issue or some piece of hardware going bad.

One thing to do would be to look for an updated BIOS and flash that in to see if it fixes things. If not, then I'd start selectively removing hardware to see which piece is causing the problem...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

karaknic

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
Yeah, I tried with it on and off, no difference. What really puzzles me if why it boots fine if I press the reset button :S