AnomalyE

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
Hello,
I have replaced nearly all components in my system and is currently trying to boot without much success. When I hook the power up, the power diod on the motherboard lights up. But when pressing the power switch nothing happens, no post, nothing.

Currently I try to get a post on a minimal setup: motherboard (asus p4c800-e dlx), cpu(P4E 3.2Ghz with Thermalright XP-90 cooler and Papst 92x92x25 3412NGL Fan), gpu(asus geforce 2 gts 32Mb), psu(antec truepower 480W) and a single ddr(Corsair 3200XL 512Mb).

So, my thoughts:

I use my old graphics card since I don't want to fry my new card(6800 gts) until I know that everything else is working. Acording to the documentation the motherboard only supports AGP 8x(0.8v) and 4x(1.5V) cards. As far as I can determine the geforce2 gts is a 4x/2x card but I can't find anything about voltages. Does the geforce2 card work on this motherboard?

I'm not completely sure about the fan I use. The P4 stock cooler has a fan with three wires while my fan only has two wires. The connectors look the same though. Does my fan work on the cpu fan controller?

Since I am quite new to building systems (this is my second so my current track record is 50%:p), I am a bit worried that I may have damaged the cpu/motherboard while mounting the cpu/cooler. While aplying cooling paste on the processor some of it filled up the little hole in the corner of the cpu. Also, when i locked the heatsink into place some of the paste was pressed out at the sides. Did I use too much cooling paste and can that be the problem?

Finally, I am not sure about this, but when I engaged the retension hooks on the heat sink I thought I felt the cpu tilt slightly. Is it easy to alter the cpu within its socket when it is properly locked down (i.e. by applying moderate but maybe uneven pressure on the top of the cpu sufficient to mount the heatsink)?

Those are the questions I can think of. Does anyone have any suggestions how to move on from here? Since I can't get any signs of life even with a minimal setup I'm not sure what to do next.

Regards
AnomalyE

The board may not be detecting any fan rpm with a 2 pin lead. I would also try your new video card. Don't think you'll hurt it. Extra paste on the cpu shouldn't be causing a no post situation, but I would use a single edge razor blade or credit card next time you install the cpu heatsink to get the thinnest possible layer. I use 70% isopropyl alcohol to remove excess paste. But if it's already dry, just wipe it off with tissue.

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Sorry if this may sound too obvious, but did you hook up the front panel correctly? If you push the power button and nothing happens, make sure the power switch wire in the case is hooked to the right pins on the front panel. Orientation of the plug shouldn't matter for the power switch. Hope this helps.

AnomalyE

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
Ok, still not working. Actually I have quadrupple checked the power switch connector in both orientations.

>> "The board may not be detecting any fan rpm with a 2 pin lead"

Will this result in a no-post situation, so that I should try another fan?

I have also tried to remove the motherboard from the chassi and run it outside without graphics card (since it is hard to connect without a chassi). Is the graphics card required to get any kind of response, or can I narrow it down to mb, cpu or memory?

AnomalyE

AnomalyE

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
Great, I am on my way now. By connecting the graphics card to the mb outside of the case I get the fans to power up. I guess that the case somehow connected with the mb where it shouldn't after all. For now, there are no beeps and no other life signs but now i have something to work on and will try to connect the hd for starters. To be continued...

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Double-check your mb standoffs and secure them.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Do the fans stay on or do they turn off after 10seconds? Are there any signs of blown or bulging capacitors on your motherboard? Are all the drive (hard disk, floppy etc.) cables connected the correct way round?
Take out all the connections from your case to yoru motherboard and leave just the power switch.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry I was so late, but with all these newbs answering guesses I'm glad Jamie got you started.

Basically, whenever that exact problem occurs, it's 98% certainty you have a standoff in the wrong location. All your standoffs need to line up with holes in the board: Any others will contact the back of the board and short it out. And a shorted board will normally refuse power because it detects the short.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

AnomalyE

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
Hi again,
I don't really know why it didn't work inside the case, all the standoffs are correctly placed. I got the suggestion to use insulating tape between the standoffs and the board but for now, I am trying to run it from outside of the case, and unfortunately I don't get anything more than the fans to power up.

The harddrive, when plugged in, reacts with some spinning but I get no post beeps and no boot. The screen is dead and the IDE-diod does not light up. The harddrive is from my previous computer and works well.

I'm planning to reseat the cpu when I get some isopropyl alcohol on Thursday (to clean away the cooling paste). Until then, does anyone have any other suggestions I can try?

/AnomalyE

Edit: And the fans stay on as long as I want. I only have one primary harddrive and I have controlled the connection to be ok.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by anomalye on 12/07/04 02:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AnomalyE

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
Thats correct... and I hadn't thought of the built-in sound card, I thought the voice messages went through the case speaker. Now, with an external speaker attached I get these messages: "No CPU installed / system failed CPU test."

Then I will simply try to reseat the cpu. Thanks.