hard time choosing mobo Intel/Asus 875

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd definately stay away from the Asus board and its crappy voltage regulator. I'd even pass on the 875P and go with a powerfull 865PE board with the Abit IS7.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

AznAnarchy99

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2004
i really dont know much about motherboards so help me out plz. I recently bought a P4 3.2E cpu that came bundled with an ECS mobo. I know enought that the ECS mobo is crap. Im looking for a new one and one of my clan members is a total Asus fanboy and told me to get that mobo. Another never bought anything but Intel and never will and told me to get that. Will some 865PE boards outperform 875? i want the best 875 board out there. price must be around 200 or lower

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The performance difference between the 875P and 865PE is slim to none. I recommend the Abit IS7 (around $90) after owning several boards twice that price (including the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, which is GARBAGE, tell your friend that too).

OH, but let me tell you MORE about the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe! People buy the board because so many sites recommend it. Sites that recommend it because they HAVEN'T TESTED IT PROPERLY. You see, it's nearly impossible to discover the problems of this board with only a few hours testing!

If you want to read a REAL review of the P4C800-E Deluxe, read <A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/asus-P4C800-E_Deluxe/index.html" target="_new">This one from Sysopt</A>. No, it's not the shiney webpage that so many other sites bring you, but it exposes a nearly universal flaw in the board that can show up anywhere between 1 day and 1 year after you start using it: The VRM cannot properly control CPU core voltage over extended use.

Now, I have a Soyo P4I875P Dragon 2 version 1.0, it's a fine board, but limitted in vCore selection. If you plan on overclocking, that could also be a problem.

But why spend $180 on a motherboard when you can get nearly the same features in a quality board for $90? So yes, the P4I875P Dragon2 Version 1.0 is a fine board, but probably not worth the added expense over the IS7.

Now, as a system builder I know which brand I recommend: Abit, because they actually replace boards for people. Abit had a bad run of boards a few years back, I bought blown boards from people who didn't know any better, and Abit replaced them all free. Which means I got a like-new board but only paid for "junk". Couldn't do that with Asus. And Soyo's warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it's a nice board, but you'd better be prepared to buy top-end RAM for it, this one pushes RAM very hard.

I overclock, so I need accurate voltage for CPU stability. CPU's are normally stable with moderate voltage fluctuation, but not as you approach the limits of their capability.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nice choosing memory that runs at default voltage (that would probably be necessary with Intel boards because they have few adjustments). But I'm not certain why you're looking at Registered modules?

Anyway, Intel makes solid boards. They tend to last a long time and have few BIOS adjustments. They tend to perform in the middle of the pack.

Slainte

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
AznAnarchy99: After going thru the same dither about boards, etc. I cornered Crashman offline and after he wacked me a few times I followed his advice and bought:
IS7, P4/2.4GHz,Radeon9600XT, and two Crucial CT6464Z40B
Life is short........Listen to the man!

Q=1-081-49FIVE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slainte on 12/05/04 04:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AznAnarchy99

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2004
oh because im buying the memory from my clan member...the one who loves intel for 100.

i think i might go for the abit ic7 max II. im looking for the ic7 max III but i cant find it. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AznAnarchy99 on 12/03/04 07:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Max2 doesn't show up on Abit's site. Are you sure it's not max3?
The otes cooling for the pwm will be usefull for the scotty.. That is it's only advantage over the IS7.

Slainte

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
Crashman:........Is there a Review out there of the IS7 that you would recomend?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slainte on 12/05/04 05:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Anandtech did a good one around July of 2003.

AznAnarchy99

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2004
I got the 3.2 Prescott because it was on sale at outpost.com for 209 with an ECS mobo.

should i buy the ic7-max 3 for $187.50 bucks? i would also have to pay 15 bucks shipping. is it worth it?

The cooling system on the IC7-Max3 is tempting and it will look good with the Corsair XMS memeory and the case im getting. Some people on the Dev Hardware forums are also saying quote "The Max3 is a pretty boys motherboard. It does nothing well but burn a hole in your wallet. It's for those interested in rice rockets, pretty LEDs, and wasting money. IF you were planning on using a 4 drive SATA raid array, I might be able to justify it. But otherwise, NO! The dividers don't work, and right now Abit is making horrible products."

I trust the people at THG more but that also makes me a bit uneasy for the money im paying.