nForce 3 250 Gb question

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
So I shell out a little extra a while back for a motherboard using the nForce 250 Gb chipset because among other things I wanted to use the 1 Gigabit/s network card. I look in the network setting only to find it's running at a 10 Mbit/s transfer rate. Granted I know little about NICs, but shouldn't this be running at 1 Gb/s aka 1000 Mb/s. Can this be changed and how do i do it? I have a connection to the Internet via cable, so I wasn't sure if this was something the ISP controlled.

All help is appreciated. Incidentally the motherboard is a LAN Party UT nF3 Gb.

Brandt

I think you're getting Mbits and Mbytes mixed up.

My boardband connection is 576Kbits a second (around 57Kbytes a second).

I think it's marketing as 576Kbps sounds more impressive than 57KBps.

Anywhoo, I think your Network adapter is running fine

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your transfer rate is limitted to the hardware it's connected to. If you're on a cable modem for example, that cable modem might have a 10 megabit connection to the computer.

Even when my campus installed new networking to their apartments, they limitted it to 10 megabits.

The only time I've actually seen a Gigabit connection is when I connected two boards with Gigabit networking to each other via crossover cable. If I recall correctly, I got around 860 megabit file transfers on that gigabit connection. The cool thing was that bi-directional transfers didn't slow it down very much.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Aha. Thank you both for the answers. Are there cable modems available with a higher rate of transfer? Stupid Brighthouse Networks giving me a crappy modem.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think some cable modems offer a 100 megabit connection to the computer, but why would it matter? Good cable internet packages go anywhere from 768 killobits to 3 megabits. As long as the data between the modem and the provider is maxed at 3 megabits, a 10 megabit connection from the modem to your PC is MORE than adequate.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
All right then. I shall save my money. Impulsivity for once will not prevail. All hail Crashman, whose word rings true once again!