PLEASE help with kv8 pro

ice87

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
I just installed the ABIT K8V Pro motherboard, and there seems to be a problem. If i was to turn off the computer, then reboot, i would hear a few seconds of "beep-boop-beep-boob" nothing would show on the screen, then the "beep-boop" would restart for about 2 seconds. immediately after, the machine would shut down. the little POST thing on the Mobo reads 9F. When i try to turn it one again, the same thing would repeat itself. the only way i could get it to work again is if i reset the cmos memory from the jumpers. anyone got any ideas on how to solve this problem?
system specs:
Infineon PC3000 512mb Ram
Antec TruePower 380
ABIT K8V PRO motherboard
MSI 5600XT 128MB video card
AMD Athlon 64 30000+
Silent Boost k8 heatsink
seagate 80gb
52x32x52 Liteon CD write
onboard sound, onboard lan
windows xp pro sp2
i really need my machine working, so PLEASE offer some help. thanks

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you say your memory was PC3000? Was that a typo, and you meant PC3200? You need PC3200 on that setup if you're going to run the memory in a 1:1 ratio at 200 MHz. If your memory is slower than PC3200, you need to slow your memory settings down some.

I've gotten that same Beep-Boop pattern on an overclocked rig I have sometimes when I reboot. You should be able to make adjustments in your BIOS to avoid this problem. Start by selecting "setup defaults" in the BIOS and go from there. If that still causes problems, revert to the "failsafe" settings in the BIOS and start tweaking it back up till you can figure out which setting is causing the problem.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

ice87

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
i tried it. doesnt work. still the same problem. a friend suggests that it may be that the mobo i bought is defective. you think that could be the case?