Outdoor wireless network

Joe

I am attempting to assemble a wireless network in a wooded area
(campground aprox 1 mile radius) where campers would be able to have
internet access. I am looking for some possible solutions without
running any cabling. I also have a few buildings I would like to tie
into the system.

I currently have a cisco 350 access point, some workgroup bridges,
some 14dB gain amps, and a 15 dBi gain omni antenna.

What height would be optimal for the antenna? Am I going to need to
get more access points to use as repeaters or is there a better way of
doing this?

If you do not have line of sight between the access points and the PCs it is
not likely to work.

Do a google on this newsgroup for prior discussions of the impact of trees
and wireless internet.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Joe" <geekjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am attempting to assemble a wireless network in a wooded area
> (campground aprox 1 mile radius) where campers would be able to have
> internet access. I am looking for some possible solutions without
> running any cabling. I also have a few buildings I would like to tie
> into the system.
>
> I currently have a cisco 350 access point, some workgroup bridges,
> some 14dB gain amps, and a 15 dBi gain omni antenna.
>
> What height would be optimal for the antenna? Am I going to need to
> get more access points to use as repeaters or is there a better way of
> doing this?

---

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Joe wrote:

> I am attempting to assemble a wireless network in a wooded area
> (campground aprox 1 mile radius) where campers would be able to have
> internet access. I am looking for some possible solutions without
> running any cabling. I also have a few buildings I would like to tie
> into the system.
>
> I currently have a cisco 350 access point, some workgroup bridges,
> some 14dB gain amps, and a 15 dBi gain omni antenna.
>
> What height would be optimal for the antenna? Am I going to need to
> get more access points to use as repeaters or is there a better way of
> doing this?

Such a high gain omni antenna will have a pretty flat "doughnut"
dispersion pattern, so if you mount it really high it will overshoot
everyone. If you can shoot under the trees you might be able to do some
good. But as Bob said, shooting through trees is usually a no-go. I've
had some luck up to a quarter mile or so shooting through a small amount
of trees, but I wouldn't start out designing a network to go through
trees unless you have 900MHz equipment.

The best bet for your situation is a mesh network, there are a few companies
that make some great products.
Firetide is one, Mesh is for locations that dont fit the LOS that most
systems require.

"Joe" <geekjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am attempting to assemble a wireless network in a wooded area
> (campground aprox 1 mile radius) where campers would be able to have
> internet access. I am looking for some possible solutions without
> running any cabling. I also have a few buildings I would like to tie
> into the system.
>
> I currently have a cisco 350 access point, some workgroup bridges,
> some 14dB gain amps, and a 15 dBi gain omni antenna.
>
> What height would be optimal for the antenna? Am I going to need to
> get more access points to use as repeaters or is there a better way of
> doing this?

A mesh network is perfect for your situation, there are a few companies that
make some great products, cant remember them all, one I think is Firetide.
Mesh is for those situations where the norm wont work

"Joe" <geekjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am attempting to assemble a wireless network in a wooded area
> (campground aprox 1 mile radius) where campers would be able to have
> internet access. I am looking for some possible solutions without
> running any cabling. I also have a few buildings I would like to tie
> into the system.
>
> I currently have a cisco 350 access point, some workgroup bridges,
> some 14dB gain amps, and a 15 dBi gain omni antenna.
>
> What height would be optimal for the antenna? Am I going to need to
> get more access points to use as repeaters or is there a better way of
> doing this?

test
"Joe" <geekjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am attempting to assemble a wireless network in a wooded area
> (campground aprox 1 mile radius) where campers would be able to have
> internet access. I am looking for some possible solutions without
> running any cabling. I also have a few buildings I would like to tie
> into the system.
>
> I currently have a cisco 350 access point, some workgroup bridges,
> some 14dB gain amps, and a 15 dBi gain omni antenna.
>
> What height would be optimal for the antenna? Am I going to need to
> get more access points to use as repeaters or is there a better way of
> doing this?

test