Sign in with
Your question

Best way to reformat HD with WIN XP pro

Last response: in Windows XP
December 1, 2004 1:17:48 PM

Hello..whats is the fastest easiest and safest way to reformat my HD that contains WIN XP Pro Corporate ed? I have 6 boot floppies and the program CD and want to wipe clean the HD and then reinstall WIN XP Pro corp. Thanks.

More about : reformat win pro

December 2, 2004 3:00:27 PM

Just format the hd when you go to reinstall the os. You will have the option during the install.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
December 2, 2004 9:00:47 PM

If you're concerned about completely deleting any sensitive information on the hard drive (financial records, for example) use <A HREF="http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/" target="_new">Hard Disk Autoclave</A>, a nifty little free utility that will wipe your disk clean, period.

The downside is that the thing takes forever to run as it actually writes and overwrites every single sector of a hard drive (~16 hours for my 120 GB). It's probably overkill for most, but if you are paranoid or have genuinely sensitive information its the way to do it.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
Related resources
December 2, 2004 9:05:21 PM

if your that paranoid about destroying the data i think a sledge hammer would be more effective. and a lot faster. not to mention fun.

this is my boomstick!
December 5, 2004 5:38:27 PM

I agree with jihiggs. With the price of HDD dropping so fast - I completely destroy mine - and install a brand new one.

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>
December 8, 2004 9:55:55 PM

Quote:
I agree with jihiggs. With the price of HDD dropping so fast - I completely destroy mine - and install a brand new one.

How wasteful. Are there no libraries/schools/donation centers in your community that need computer equipment?

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
December 8, 2004 11:23:32 PM

I donate old equipment, but not Hard Drives. With piracy and ID theft and who knows what, I just dont feel safe unless the old HD's are destroyed.
December 9, 2004 1:38:41 PM

omg what are you some kinda of underworld boss or computer pirating hacking genius, there is absolutely no need for you to destroy a good hard drive, just format and be done with it then you can use it as extra storage space.....thats seriously paranoid dude
!