Need a good computer for Team Fortress 2 and Starcraft 2

SwineFlew

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I want a computer that can run TF2 and Starcraft 2 at optimum performance. Right now im looking at a computer off of iBUYPOWER.com and this is what I have:

Case: NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case

Processor: Intel Core i5 655k

Memory: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 220 - 1GB

Motherboard: ASUS P7H55

Power: 500 Watt

Hard Drive: 500 GB Hard Drive

Optical Drive: 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD/RW Drive CD-R/RW Drive

Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card: Onboard LAN Network

Monitor: 19" Widescreen LCD

Speaker System: iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

(Mouse and keyboard are included for free)

Total: $862.00

This is mainly to check if this will work, but also if I would be getting a good deal and if I could get the same performance for lower cost. Really all I want is for TF2 and SC2 to work at optimum performance, if I could save a hundred or two bucks that would be great. As long as I can upgrade in the future, im just wanting a good gaming PC for the time being. Im not too interested in future proofing right away, im on a low budget.

Compare prices between the i5-655k and the i5-750; I'm pretty sure the i5-750 is cheaper and is a true quad-core to boot. The k-series are overpriced because they come with unlocked multipliers.

Also, the GT220 SUCKS as a gaming card. Save money somewhere else and go for something more powerful, otherwise no game will run at anywhere near full settings.

Metwinge

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Processor wise its fine but a Herr_koos states, Stay away from the gfx card unless your budget is restricting you the id consider your cpu. The 5770/460 or better would be the best bet and also give you some future proofing.