chaosdollheads

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I'm attempting to upgrade my pc with a new processor (Semperon 3100+) and mobo (Chaintech VNF3-250). I'm using a pair of Crucial 256mb 2100s and a Radeon 9800 Pro.

My problems are thus - If i plug in both power supplies, the fans turn on for a split second and shut off. If I unplug the 12v power, then all fans (2 case, heatsink, and graphics card) run. But no video. Also, the only way I can get my dvdrw to run is to disconnect it from the mobo. I've made certain that everything is seated securely and played musical ram with my ddrs, but I'm coming to my wits end. I should point out that I am technologically challenged and have only put a pc together once before (by some miracle - and the help of an online friend - I was successful) and may well be missing something that is regarded as obvious.

I appreciate any help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, first of all, if you power supply has a switch, that isn't the switch used to turn the system on, it just connects/disconnects the power from the cord. To turn the system on you need to use the power button on front of the PC. But for the power button to work, you need to have it connected to the right spot on the board.

Simply putting power to the supply will result into "instantly comes on" with no 12v connector and "runs for a split second" without the 12v connector. The "runs for a split second" part is how it's supposed to work until you hit the power button on front, which turns the system on.

You might have the power button disconnected, or connected to the wrong pins. Check that. Also, unhook all your drive data cables from the motherboard to see if you can bring up the POST screen.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>