V710: How do I get images/mp3's without datacable/transfla..

Is there a way other than datacable/transflash/bluetooth to get mp3s
and images on to the V710?

I've tried email and putting the file on the web. Email comes with
txt file saying the content type has been block. Web page says file
failed to be saved.

Any ideas?

Rich

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:15:56 -0700, Ben Tyler wrote:

> Is there a way other than datacable/transflash/bluetooth to get mp3s and
> images on to the V710?
>
> I've tried email and putting the file on the web. Email comes with txt
> file saying the content type has been block. Web page says file failed to
> be saved.

I have been emailing pictures (.jpg) and ringers (.mid) to my friend's
v710 with no problem. Well, we had a problem at first but after he
called verizon and got something activated or some such it started
working. Prior to that he would get a message saying to go to the web
for the content.

The email address we use is <phone-number>@vzwpix.com, where
<phone-number> is the 10 digit number with no dashes. The pictures
are mailed as attachements with mime type image/jpeg, and the ringers
are mime type audio/midi. The email software should set the mime
types when sending the mail, but if it setting them wrong maybe they're
getting blocked somewhere.

Also, the ringers are actually mp3 files renamed with a .mid extension.
The phone plays them fine, but it didn't seem to know what to do with
mp3 attachements.

Hope that helps. Email should work.

rich

No go... message comes with ctu24.txt instead of ctu24.mid, txt file
contents:

Attachedment Dropped: <ctu24.mid> of type: <audio/x-midi;
x-mac-type="0"; x-mac-creator="0"; name="ctu24.mid">

I encoded at 128kbit, is this ok? The file size is about 400k, is
there a max size limit? Is audio/x-midi not an allow content type?

rich <seriousbrosKILL@SPAMMERSyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.08.19.01.08.17.688931@SPAMMERSyahoo.com>...
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:15:56 -0700, Ben Tyler wrote:
>
> > Is there a way other than datacable/transflash/bluetooth to get mp3s and
> > images on to the V710?
> >
> > I've tried email and putting the file on the web. Email comes with txt
> > file saying the content type has been block. Web page says file failed to
> > be saved.
>
> I have been emailing pictures (.jpg) and ringers (.mid) to my friend's
> v710 with no problem. Well, we had a problem at first but after he
> called verizon and got something activated or some such it started
> working. Prior to that he would get a message saying to go to the web
> for the content.
>
> The email address we use is <phone-number>@vzwpix.com, where
> <phone-number> is the 10 digit number with no dashes. The pictures
> are mailed as attachements with mime type image/jpeg, and the ringers
> are mime type audio/midi. The email software should set the mime
> types when sending the mail, but if it setting them wrong maybe they're
> getting blocked somewhere.
>
> Also, the ringers are actually mp3 files renamed with a .mid extension.
> The phone plays them fine, but it didn't seem to know what to do with
> mp3 attachements.
>
> Hope that helps. Email should work.
>

> rich

Rich

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:18:08 -0700, Ben Tyler wrote:

> No go... message comes with ctu24.txt instead of ctu24.mid, txt file
> contents:
>
> Attachedment Dropped: <ctu24.mid> of type: <audio/x-midi; x-mac-type="0";
> x-mac-creator="0"; name="ctu24.mid">

Seems like the problem may be the mime type. I tried sending myself
a file as audio/x-midi and got the attachment dropped message:

Attachement Dropped: <blah.mid> of type: <audio/x-midi; name="blah.mid">

I resent as type audio/midi and it came through just fine! This time
I'm sending to my phone, a vx6000, but I would guess it is the same
for the v710 since the dropping probably happens somewhere on verizon's
servers. I can't test my friend's v710 right now.

Whether or not you can change the mime type probably depends on the
mail program being used. I'm using sylpheed on linux, which probably
doesn't help you much. I don't know how to set/change it for other
mail clients.

> I encoded at 128kbit, is this ok? The file size is about 400k, is there a
> max size limit? Is audio/x-midi not an allow content type?

I don't know of a size limit. Looks like the largest .mid file I
have done is about 280K. I suspect 128kbit is fine. I've been using
64 myself. I figure the quality loss won't be noticable on the little
phone speaker and it reduces the file size.

Anyway, seems like using audio/midi is your best bet at this point.
Good luck!

rich

Thanks Rich,

I changed the mime type to audio/midi instead of audio/x-midi and the
file came through fine.