two routers (one wireless, one wired)

I'm having a problem with the range of my Wi-Fi network. I'd like to
move the wireless access point to a higher spot in the home (a
bedrooim), but there's no TV cable jack in that bedroom--however
there is a cat-5 wire running up there.

I currently have my Wi-Fi in the far end of the house on the main
floor. Ideally, I think the Wi-Fi point should be moved to the
upstairs bedroom (where the cat-5 is but no cable outlet).

Is it possible to use the hardwired router as my Internet gateway.
Then place the wireless D-link router in the upstairs bedroom which
would connect via a LAN port?

-----/internet through cable/---------------[wired
router]---------[wireless router]----z-----[wireless clients]

Both routers are D-Link. The wireless is a "B" setup (DI-514)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:12:35 -0400, z4869375 <z4869375@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm having a problem with the range of my Wi-Fi network. I'd like to
>move the wireless access point to a higher spot in the home (a
>bedrooim), but there's no TV cable jack in that bedroom--however
>there is a cat-5 wire running up there.
>
>I currently have my Wi-Fi in the far end of the house on the main
>floor. Ideally, I think the Wi-Fi point should be moved to the
>upstairs bedroom (where the cat-5 is but no cable outlet).
>
>Is it possible to use the hardwired router as my Internet gateway.
>Then place the wireless D-link router in the upstairs bedroom which
>would connect via a LAN port?
>

>-----/internet through cable/---------------[wired
>router]---------[wireless router]----z-----[wireless clients]
>
>Both routers are D-Link. The wireless is a "B" setup (DI-514)

Okay, I've been doing a Google search and I might be able to do it.
Basically change the IP address of the wireless router and then turn
off DHCP.

But the DI-514 doesn't have an uplink port. Do I need one?
Do I just use a regular cat-5 wire or do I need a crossover cable
between the two routers?

z4869375 <z4869375@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Is it possible to use the hardwired router as my Internet gateway.
>>Then place the wireless D-link router in the upstairs bedroom which
>>would connect via a LAN port?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2E3155E8
"How do I connect a Linksys Wireless router to a regular Ethernet Linksys
router?"

This is probably generic enough to apply to your D-Link.

> But the DI-514 doesn't have an uplink port. Do I need one?
> Do I just use a regular cat-5 wire or do I need a crossover cable
> between the two routers?

The DI-514 has an Auto MDI/MDIX port. You don't need a crossover cable.

--
---

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 05:26:36 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXtwoXr.usenet.us.com wrote:

>z4869375 <z4869375@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>Is it possible to use the hardwired router as my Internet gateway.
>>>Then place the wireless D-link router in the upstairs bedroom which
>>>would connect via a LAN port?
>
>http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2E3155E8
>"How do I connect a Linksys Wireless router to a regular Ethernet Linksys
>router?"
>
>This is probably generic enough to apply to your D-Link.
>
>> But the DI-514 doesn't have an uplink port. Do I need one?
>> Do I just use a regular cat-5 wire or do I need a crossover cable
>> between the two routers?
>
>The DI-514 has an Auto MDI/MDIX port. You don't need a crossover cable.

How does the wired router work (the one connected to the Internet)?
Does it do NAT or some kind of masquarading from the wireless router?