Tactix

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004
Hi all!

I have a P4 2.4 with a Soyo MB and really hate it!!!

Right now I am shopping for a new system and was thinking going for AMD this time.
The only thing is that I want to keep my graphic card wich is an ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

Wich AMD processor and MB should I get to build around my graphic card? Oh by the way I'm a gamer....

Thanks!

pat

Expert
it depend of your budget, but a good nf3 board with a 3000+ or 3200+, either socket 754 or 939 should be a good match to your 9600xt. You already have RAM that you can use from your P4 system? What kind and how fast it is? Dont spend too much for expensive hw yet, as new technology start to appear. Let it mature one year or more and do a full upgrade to a fast gaming system that will include a better vid card.

My current system is an A64 3000+(2.0GHz) oc to 2.15 GHz with a Soltek k8an2e-gr (socket 754) and an ATI AIW 9600xt and it is plenty fast for now. next year, when better stuff will be more affordable, I'll move to something else, but for now, I keep it cheap.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Tactix

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004
I have 2 stick of regular 256ddr with my current system...I'd like to upgrqde this as well.
So how slow is my P4 2.4, 512ram, radeon 9600 XT with a
Soyo P4X 400 Dragon Ultra, compared with a AMD64 3200+ with good MB?

I undertand what you say but new technologies are always coming out!

Thanks!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tactix on 12/09/04 09:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
Well, probably a lot, because my system could crunch a sequence of number for a friend in 12minutes 47 seconds compared to my friend's p4 2.8 on an Asus p4p800 in 13minutes 43 secondes... I dont remember what this program was, but it was impressed. He now seriously think about switching to AMD.

For game, AMD simply rules.... My best bet for you, assuming that your memory is ddr 333 or more wouldd be to pick a board and a CPU like mine and have fun. Socket 939 is dual channel, so if you have only one stick of RAM, you'll run it in single channel, as socket 754.

Maybe I should have say new standard, as PCIe, SATA2, ... My system will be fast enough for at least 2 years, as I could always put a 3700+ on it if I need more CPU power. But for game, better video card is more useful, and since you want to keep your 9600xt, having a fast machine wont really show as you vid card will be the limiting factor.

So, get an inexpensive board and cpu, use you ram and all the other hardware from your other system, have fun now, and start to save for your new dual core A64, PCIe vid card with fast SATA2 HDD in RAID0 and ...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Which P4 2.4? There were four of them, with 4 different performance levels. The board is definately garbage, I have serious doubts about any builder who would pair a VIA chipset with a P4 processor, unless he was doing it to cheat a customer.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS