Which motherboard for this setup?

tasandmnm

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I have a P4 2.26 and 512 MB PC2700. I am kind of partial to Abit since they are so easy to overclock in the BIOS. I would prefer something with some decent on board sound and ethernet, but no on board graphics. IT has been a LONG time since I have looked in to individual PC components (since back when the 2.53 P4 was the big dog) and I really don't have the time to research a lot. I want to get something that will perform well and will be reasonably receptive to possible CPU or RAM upgrades in the future, but I really want to get it on the cheap too :) Thanks

Go here if you love playing Xbox live games but hate the trash talking, cheating general public on Live: http://ussforums.proboards36.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Abit IS7. Not the -Economy versions, the regular IS7.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tasandmnm

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Thanks Crashman. I looked on pricewatch for one of these, and they come in a ton of different variants. Which chipset is best to look for? It seems like some of the have the 848 and some have 865. What are the important features I need to keep in mind, other than chipset and the things I mentioned above, when I sort through all of the different variants? Thanks a lot :)

Go here if you love playing Xbox live games but hate the trash talking, cheating general public on Live: http://ussforums.proboards36.com

tasandmnm

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Well, I just found out that I definitely don't want the IS7-E, but what is the difference in the IS7 and the IS7-G? I am going to assume that the G stands for graphics, but I haven't been able to find the evidence to support that yet.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
-G stands for Gigabit Lan. Because hard drives aren't even fast enough to support gigabit speeds, I don't think it's an important factor. The base IS7 supports 10/100 LAN onboard and has all the other cool features.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also consider the MSI-NEO2-PLS. A pretty good 865PE board. No RAID but very quick. They can be very inexpensive. I bought a new one for $35.00US and I was damned impressed. It was missing the back-plate and MSI just sent me a new one for no-charge. They even paid the freight. What is going on here?

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot