Sign in with
Your question

Help! Shot in the dark needed.

Last response: in Networking
August 7, 2002 6:59:18 PM

<A HREF="http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=win..." target="_new">Here's</A> a link to a thread in another forum. It's a UK forum and it's ADSL/networking specific, thus why I've tried there first.

Any ideas are welcome.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

More about : shot dark needed

August 7, 2002 10:46:20 PM

After reading the post, it sounds like the network is going 'one-way.' Can he transfer files between each computer? Or is it just an internet problem? A shot in the dark might be to make sure the Access Control tab is clicked on Share Level Access (in Client for Microsoft Networks). I had a problem where my network appeared to be working fine in one direction (I could transfer files from my WinXP to my Win98 PC, but not the other way around.). I did not have problems with Internet sharing however.
August 7, 2002 10:56:14 PM

The problem is just getting a ping off the router using the W2K system. Not tried file/print sharing yet! No point until I get the ping.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
Related resources
August 7, 2002 11:48:11 PM

why is your default gateway set to 192.168.7.1? most routers use 192.168.1.1

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
August 8, 2002 11:07:42 AM

Here's a shot in the dark: could it be that the router is maintaing an ARP table and see's a different MAC address with the same IP and won't respond to it? Have you tried setting the W2K box up as .3 ?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
August 8, 2002 2:15:44 PM

Router default settings.

August 8, 2002 2:16:58 PM

It's not the same IP though. 192.168.7.2 for W98SE, 192.168.7.3 for W2K.

Read down the linked thread. I posted a full ipconfig & route print.

August 8, 2002 2:17:53 PM

Ahh. I see what you're saying. I originally tried that, but when it didn't work, I changed my W2K setup to 192.168.7.3

August 8, 2002 2:29:30 PM

What is the error you get from the ping? Request timed out?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jlanka on 08/08/02 10:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 8, 2002 3:23:03 PM

Yup. Always that one. Never unreachable.

August 8, 2002 3:50:39 PM

What model router?

August 8, 2002 5:43:24 PM

Solwise SAR715 4-port ethernet.

<A HREF="http://www.solwise.co.uk/adslspec.htm#SAR715" target="_new">Link here</A>

Not sure if the spec on the website is up to date, but the latest firmware has included a firewall as well as the NAT, so you can disable the NAT and still have some security. At the moment NAT is enabled and the firewall is disabled.

August 9, 2002 10:45:46 AM

I read the latest developments over on the other site. Crossover sounds like a good idea. Question: Have you tried pinging the 98 box from the XP, instead of the router?

August 9, 2002 10:57:01 AM

Nope. At the moment I just have the one monitor, k/b & mouse, so it's a power down, swap cables, power up deal.

I'm looking to get myself a KVM switch soon though.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
August 9, 2002 11:28:15 AM

you can boot up the 98 box, then yank out the KB, mouse and monitor, then boox the XP box. That should work for a test ping.

August 12, 2002 7:43:51 PM

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!!

I decided to try loading W98SE onto the system and if I got my ping, to try and get a W2K upgrade to install onto it.

Couldn't get the W98SE install to ping either. Damn. What's more the NIC was causing sluggish behaviour on startup, and on shutdowns & restarts, I had to use the reset button.

Decided the NIC <b>must</b> be dodgy, and it should be replaced. Just for fun, I tried moving it from PCI slot 5 to PCI slot 4, as slot 4 seems to have less (none in fact) BIOS allocated resources. Slot 5 has connections with the HPT370 controller etc. Back to the IRQ stuff here.

Well anyway, it worked!!! Slot 4 it remains and I have W98SE & W2K running fine.

Many thanks to all for your help in trouble shooting this one. I did have a hunch on the IRQs, but having no real experience with W2K's handling of shared resources, I was operating a bit in the dark.

Again thx. [extremely happy, smiley face]

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
August 13, 2002 10:33:03 AM

Excellent news! Yeah, even though ACPI is supposed to work, it still sort of depends on which slot which card goes into. Glad you found the problem. I would have never thought of that.

!