ATI Catalyst 10.6 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Can anyone confirm if the idle speed is still ramped up from the last release? I remember they increased clock frequency on idle to prevent the flicker on dual screens but this affected single screen setups as well and increased power consumption. I didn't upgrade because of this as my machine idles much of the day and I like the very low idle consumption.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Finally, ATI guys did some improvement in CF scaling,although I believe it doesn't catch up to nVIDIA's SLI scaling yet!! Come on ATI, give me better drivers and I'll buy another 5870..But first improve the performance and CF scaling in metro2033 and other games that matter today!!

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Will Catalyst 10.6 support HDMI audio in Linux? If no, they can keep it! LOLz[/citation]

Tell me what cards do support hdmi audio in Linux? None that I am aware of. So guess you are going to be without a video card for a while.

nahdogg

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Anyone in the same boat as me running on 8.6 mobility drivers that Dell has available? Anyway to use these on a laptop with a 3650 card?

There's a thread in the forums on 10.6. I just installed them but haven't had a chance to do some tests. I'll run a few benchmarks and compare to my 10.5 CF results and post in the forum thread.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Will Catalyst 10.6 support HDMI audio in Linux? If no, they can keep it! LOLz[/citation]
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Tell me what cards do support hdmi audio in Linux? None that I am aware of. So guess you are going to be without a video card for a while.[/citation]
He was referring to the drivers, not the card.

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
No address to the 4000 series card issues? Like the Battlefield lag? It was not fixed with 10.4a or 10.5a, the load times were taken down but the spawn lag immediately after loading for 10 seconds was so outrageous

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Tell me what cards do support hdmi audio in Linux? None that I am aware of. So guess you are going to be without a video card for a while.[/citation]

A lot of people have it working with hand built drivers... I am hoping for a solution that doesn't require downloading 200mb worth of source code and spending two hours testing different compile options until it magically works. The support is ready in the Linux sound tools but the ATI-supplied driver is just a piece of crap. My other option is to use an Nvidia card. Such is life.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]Wow, video cards can repel mosquitoes now?! talk about innovation, GO ATI! forget onboard audio, nVidia needs to get on this ASAP![/citation]
WOW, that is the dumbest thing I have seen all week. I thought my cat meowing while yawning was a dumb sight. :p

Anyways on topic: Nice to see improvements. I'm buying a 5000 series card after the summer, and it is always nice to see that my investment is going to be even better spent.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
A cat meowing while yawning is the cutest thing a human can witness! !0.6 already I feel like it was quite sudden.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
This set of drivers gave me problems. When installing on an X58 with a 5970 my monitors go black as if to reset windows rendering like drivers normally do, but the display of windows does not come back... I have to restart by keyboard navigation because i cannot see anything... once restarted everything is fine and catalyst says 10.6, just though t i'd mention in case anyone else has similar problem... btw this didn't happen with previous drivers...

EDIT: These drivers are crappy, back to 10.5s

They even say in the release notes that this happens, also any game i run gives me crashed / recovered video driver... and if i use 32xAA 16xAF = Blue Screen...

My next card will be nVidia, i'll never buy a radeon graphics card again, nVidias are simply superior and more mature

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]silversurfernhs[/nom]My next card will be nVidia, i'll never buy a radeon graphics card again, nVidias are simply superior and more mature[/citation]
I've had the complete opposite experience than you've had. My experience with ATI has been a far better than nvidia (except for my Geforce4 Ti, that was an awesome card).
To me it seems that nvidia is the inferior and the less mature brand nowadays, but if I'm being honest I think both brands are more or less equal, people just like to claim one is better than the other based on their personal experience.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I've had the complete opposite experience than you've had. My experience with ATI has been a far better than nvidia (except for my Geforce4 Ti, that was an awesome card).To me it seems that nvidia is the inferior and the less mature brand nowadays, but if I'm being honest I think both brands are more or less equal, people just like to claim one is better than the other based on their personal experience.[/citation]

I agree with you, I particularly mean driver development, not really the hardware... i've always been particularly impressed with ati hardware over nvidia but couldn't really afford their latest until this generation

don't get me wrong i love the fps i get in just about any game... but its so quirky and i have to use workarounds here and there... and i don't particularly like the idea of ati's catalyst ai wielding so much power in terms of what it enables or disables... adds modifies or trys to "replace rendering techniques for better performance"

anyway, now i have a personal preference

Status
Not open for further replies.