Sign in with
Your question

Chipsets heating up....why?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 14, 2004 3:47:14 AM

Everyone here has been get advice on getting my Dsl network up and running i got a new problem if anyone can explain it...

My setup is...

Intel D865PERL motherborad
intel 2.66E GHz cpu
1280MB ram
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 mb video

since installing the videocard on the weekend i decided to push the refresh rate of the monitor to 85Hz from the settings using the videocard, but now since doing this when i'm playing some games the active monitor software alerts me that the system zone chips are heating up (they are set at 59deg celcius now.

Does anyone know what temperature the chips can take safely without cooking them lol...or should i just go back to the 75Hz refresh rate to slove the problem

Thanks

More about : chipsets heating

December 14, 2004 1:42:51 PM

there is no reason moving to 85 hz would increase temps that much inside the case, i didnt even think it was an issue at all, maybe the video card makes more heat i guess. 59c is really hot for the chipset, do you have any case fans? it is possible the readings are wrong.

this is my boomstick!
December 14, 2004 5:54:50 PM

The heat from the prescott radiate far enough to heat up the chipset...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Related resources
December 14, 2004 6:09:54 PM

wait, you are talking about the chipset right? not some "monitor" monitoring software?

this is my boomstick!
December 14, 2004 9:34:25 PM

yes its the chipsets heating up, i get informed of it from the monitoring software. Its only heating up with the refresh rate at 85Hz. There is one fan in the back at the moment sucking the hot air out but i do intend on putting more in. i just didnt feel pushing the refresh rate up would heat up the chipsets.

Apart from fans what are the best methods for keeping the system cool if i want to push the system up then
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2004 10:59:12 PM

The best method for keeping that system cool is to use a Northwood CPU, rather than a Prescott.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 15, 2004 3:06:19 AM

He has a 2.66E? What kind of chip is that?
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2004 3:23:02 AM

I noticed he said that too, but figured he meant the 2.60E.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 15, 2004 3:56:17 AM

eerrr.....yes i did get it right, my cpu is 2.66E Ghz (thats what it says in the book). Ilook up my system information and it says my cpu is 2.67GHz...

i now figured its the videocard causing the extra heat inside the case when under load with a higher refresh rate. With the heat from the fan of the new video card and everything else is heating just the 865 chipset only NOT my cpu or anything else
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2004 4:35:35 AM

How much cache does this CPU have? You can find out for certain with CPU-Z from <A HREF="http://www.cpuid.com" target="_new">http://www.cpuid.com&lt;/A>

December 17, 2004 7:18:57 AM

here's all the specs from my pc....

System Information Report
12/17/2004 8:15:16 PM

General Information
Product name Intel(R) Desktop Board D865PERL based system
Board model Genuine Intel(R) D865PERL system board
OS version Windows* XP version 5.1 Service Pack 2 build 2600
OS memory 1,308,400 KB RAM

Processor
Processor Genuine Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor
Processor speed 2.67 GHz
Bus speed 533 MHz
L1 cache Data Cache 8KB, Execution Trace Cache 12K Micro-ops
L2 cache Advanced Transfer Cache 512 KB
Form factor Socket 478
Stepping 9

System
Physical memory 1,280 MB RAM
Memory speed DDR333
Memory type DDR, Synchronous
Form factor DIMM
BIOS date 06/28/2004
BIOS size 512 KB
BIOS version P19 (RL86510A.86A.0085.P19.0406281350)
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2004 7:44:01 AM

You have a veruy old Northwood P4, what we here call a 2.66B, where A stands for 400 bus, B stands for 533 bus, and C stands for 800 bus.

If you had an "E" by that definition, you'd have a Prescott with an 800 bus.

If your memory really is DDR333, it would be considered a handicap for the 800 bus P4. But it's still faster than the 533 bus P4 when used in dual-channel mode.

!