eoj17

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
So for the last 7 months or so I've been having random complete lock-ups. Will happen during periods of inactivity, heavy use, medium use, whatever. Totally random times. I've thus far figured out that it is not my video card, ram or PSU. I've decided to rebuild my computer keeping the parts that I know work. Right now I'm using an ASUS K8V deluxe mobo and an amd athlon 64 3000+, thinkin bout upgrading to an msi neo2 platinum and an amd 64 3500+. Anyways, my question is, could the other devices in my computer like the cd-rw, floppy drive, or sound card be causing these crashes? I want to buy them when I buy the rest of the stuff I need. Also, is that a good combination?

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
More crashes are caused by driver conflicts than anything else. I never had a crash on this machine until I installed SP2. I narrowed it down to an incorrect driver not 100% XP compatible. Agravating, since no new driver has been released yet for this device.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

endyen

Splendid
Before you go swapping out anything, try running without sound. Most driver problems are usually centered there. I gave up trying to get sounblaster sound cards to work on via boards a long time ago. Funny thing is, I have built systems on via boards, with integrated SB sound, and they never had a problem.