a7v600 unlocked multiplier

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
The Asus A7v600 isn't really notorious for its stability and reliability but really has worked fine for me for a long time now. Yesterday however I encountered something new. After a lockup in Windows XP while powerring down I accidently manually resetted instead of pushing the power button. I then pushed delete to enter the bios to power down from there and did so.
When I powered up again I went straight to the bios because it said I had installed a new CPU. Strangely, THE MULTIPLIER WAS UNLOCKED. I did several tests with CPUZ and Sisoft to confirm it really was unlocked and it is. The CPUZ-report can be found at www.student.kun.nl/whvansuylekom/cpuz.htm (normal multiplier 11x166, performance now equal to 2800+). I also found out that the auto voltage detect is way too high AT 1,73V instead of what I've selected manually now, 1,65V.
The system is perfectly stable at the speed displayed in CPUZ.
Well, I powered down for the night and powered up this morning. I went straight to the bios saying that I had again installed a new CPU. Now I could only select the default speed (1100, 1466, 1833 or 2200) but the auto-detect option was gone. Because I like the unlocked multiplier much better I ctrl-alt-del rebooted and the comp went straight into Windows with the unlocked overclocked settings.
I know this al sounds kinda weird but I wonder if people might be able to reproduce the unlocked multiplier by rebooting into bios and then powering down, or hard rebooting or soft rebooting. Might unlock a whole more lotta potential for this board.
Also notice that I have the 1008 bios installed but I was doing a whole lot of updating, I believe I created this thing in the 1007 bios.

endyen

Splendid
Mobos dont lock the cpu multiplier, the chip does. If your chip has an unlocked multiplier, it's possible you have to fiddle with it before the board sees it. If the cpu has a multiplier lock, changing the setting in bios does nothing.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I agree, but normally the motherboard doesn't even allow selecting multipliers. Since the cpu is quite new (little more than a year and shouldn't have an unlocked multiplier I'm really wondering if I am just lucky to have a "faulty" chip or something really weird is going on.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
mbm5 gives the same results as cpuz (see link in original message) and Sisoft Sandra benchmarks so I must have an unlocked multiplier (but AMD started locking them from 2002 on I believe) or some kind of really "nice" bug (but I thought something like overruling the lock is impossible).
Just hoping someone with an equal system might also be able to simulate this since there's lots of unhappy A7v600 owners around who could well use this knowledge.