MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM, memory question

I think I'm gonna order the MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM, but I don't know what memory setup to use. I know with some boards if you use 2 DIMM's of double sided memory, you will not get the full DDR400, you will get 333mhz.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo2_Platinum&class=mb

The chart at the bottom says you can run 2 DIMM's at 400mhz. BUT, then farther down on the page it says:

Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left empty.

My WHOLE question is, it says you can run 2 DIMM's at DDR400. But then it contradicts itself saying: Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left EMPTY.

If I order 2x512 DDR400 STICKS, If i place them both in green, I will only get DDR333 Performance. If one is placed in purple, and one in green, I will get DDR400, but the website says not to do this? Its one big contradiction, maybe I just dont get it.
2 answers Last reply
More about neo2 platinum memory question
  1. It seems a little confusing, I hope this helps. You need to use the slots closest to the chip. The first slot is green, so put a stick in there first. To get dual channel, you need 2 sticks, so use the next slot, which is purple. This will give you dual channel, and if the ram supports it, pc3200 speed. As you get further from the chip, the odmc has more problems running the memory at high speed. If you use the last 2 slots, you will get dual channel, but the odmc may only be able to run it at pc2700 speeds.
    In your case, just put you ram in the 2 slots closest to the cpu. This will give you what you want.
  2. it will tell you at post what speed the mem is running and if its dual channel. im running two sticks on that board now.

this is my boomstick!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Platinum Green Memory MSI-Microstar