WG511T 3CRPAG175 and WEP

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 21, 2004 6:52:00 PM

In short I made following experience:

Connecting the 2 PC cards Netgear WG511T and 3COM 3CRPAG175
in Ad-hoc-mode with G or B only and with WEP enabled didn't function.
The cards where used with the card manufactures own WLAN software
(WinXP Wlan control disabled) on two XP Pro SP1 Laptops.
With WEP enabled the cards could see each other, but they didn't
establish network communications. I set up the IP network and WEP keys
manually.

Without WEP enabled communication works fine, but is useless for
security reasons.

I was also negatively surprised to find out, that the 3COM
configuration software does NOT offer a WPA-PSK option.

Questions:
Did anyone succeed to connect a WG511T and a 3crpag175
in Adhoc/ encrypted /G mode?

Does the C3RPAG175 support WPA encryption?

Thanks for your help.
Lophiomys

More about : wg511t 3crpag175 wep

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 6:52:01 PM

Have you checked at the 3COM and Netgear websites for driver upgrades? My
dlink card had to have a new driver to support wpa-psk. With XP SP1 you also
have to download a Hotfix from microsoft for wpa-psk to work.
"lophiomys" <lophiomys@gmx.at> wrote in message
> In short I made following experience:
>
> Connecting the 2 PC cards Netgear WG511T and 3COM 3CRPAG175
> in Ad-hoc-mode with G or B only and with WEP enabled didn't function.
> The cards where used with the card manufactures own WLAN software
> (WinXP Wlan control disabled) on two XP Pro SP1 Laptops.
> With WEP enabled the cards could see each other, but they didn't
> establish network communications. I set up the IP network and WEP keys
> manually.
>
> Without WEP enabled communication works fine, but is useless for
> security reasons.
>
> I was also negatively surprised to find out, that the 3COM
> configuration software does NOT offer a WPA-PSK option.
>
> Questions:
> Did anyone succeed to connect a WG511T and a 3crpag175
> in Adhoc/ encrypted /G mode?
>
> Does the C3RPAG175 support WPA encryption?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Lophiomys

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 5:46:02 PM

Thanks for the hint. Yes, of course I checked for driver updates, the
wg511t has the most recent driver from Netgears US support site.
3Com does not offer a new driver currently.

Promt and qualified 3COM support informed me in the mean time,
that in order to use WPA-PSK with the 3crpag175 one would have to use
the Microsoft WLAN drivers, with all the MS hot fixes as I assume.
They cannot explain why WEP does not function in this special
configuration.

I'll update you, when I will have tested the config with the MS
drivers.

Lophiomys

!