Pay a fee or VZW may list your name/number/address in a pu..

The updated customer agreement shows that VZW has the right to publish my
name/phone number in a directory, unless I pay a fee? And if they do, they
aren't responsible for mistakes. Is this new, or been there all along.
Sorry, I should know this. dr (apologies if this is an old topic)

The excerpts from the sections are below. Is this new, or been there all
along, and I just discovered it.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?textName=CUSTOMER_AGREEMENT&jspName=footer/customerAgreement.jsp

Directories And Your Privacy
Except as follows, we won't share personal information about you with others
without your permission.... (This doesn't include your name, address, and
wireless number. Unless you arrange otherwise with us and pay any required
fee, we may list them in a public directory. We aren't responsible for
mistakes in the listings.) --

dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")

Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.

In article <ZYJUc.1301$4L2.593@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
"dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:

> The updated customer agreement shows that VZW has the right to
> publish my name/phone number in a directory, unless I pay a fee? And
> if they do, they aren't responsible for mistakes. Is this new, or
> been there all along.

This is standard for telephone directories; it's been like this for well
over fifty years.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:30:45 -0700, Michelle Steiner
<michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

>In article <ZYJUc.1301$4L2.593@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
> "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:
>
>> The updated customer agreement shows that VZW has the right to
>> publish my name/phone number in a directory, unless I pay a fee? And
>> if they do, they aren't responsible for mistakes. Is this new, or
>> been there all along.
>
>This is standard for telephone directories; it's been like this for well
>over fifty years.

Thing is that fifty years ago I didn't have a cell phone that accepted
text/pix messages.

Anyone that gets your number can send you any amount of text/pix
messages which are automatically accepted by the phone and you will
have to pay for them.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can have Verizon disable the incoming text messages.

In article <pku7i0hii7sli0lgibb2t4vkjpovj3pcp4@4ax.com>,
forked <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> The updated customer agreement shows that VZW has the right to
> >> publish my name/phone number in a directory, unless I pay a fee?
> >> And if they do, they aren't responsible for mistakes. Is this new,
> >> or been there all along.
> >
> >This is standard for telephone directories; it's been like this for
> >well over fifty years.
>
> Thing is that fifty years ago I didn't have a cell phone that
> accepted text/pix messages.
>
> Anyone that gets your number can send you any amount of text/pix
> messages which are automatically accepted by the phone and you will
> have to pay for them.

I didn't say that it was done only fifty years ago; it's been done all
along for more than fifty years.

They don't need a phone directory to spam text messages or pictures; all
they need is an automatic dialer to generate phone numbers in sequence.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

Some time around Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:46:17 GMT (give or take a month), someone who says they are
named "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled
on about:

>The updated customer agreement shows that VZW has the right to publish my
>name/phone number in a directory, unless I pay a fee? And if they do, they
>aren't responsible for mistakes. Is this new, or been there all along.
>Sorry, I should know this. dr (apologies if this is an old topic)

I read somewhere that verizon doesn't plan on sharing its customer list with anyone.

-W

"Double U" <PleaseSpamMe@myEmail.com> wrote in message
> Some time around Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:46:17 GMT (give or take a month),
someone who says they are
> named "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> fired up the tubes on
the teletype and rambled
> on about:
>
> >The updated customer agreement shows that VZW has the right to publish my
> >name/phone number in a directory, unless I pay a fee? And if they do,
they
> >aren't responsible for mistakes. Is this new, or been there all along.
> >Sorry, I should know this. dr (apologies if this is an old topic)
>
> I read somewhere that verizon doesn't plan on sharing its customer list
with anyone.

> -W

I would not think VZW would want to publish a list of their customers.

Seems like just what their competitors would like to have.

Brad <me@here.invalid> wrote:
> You can have Verizon disable the incoming text messages.

But if you want to *receive* text messages, just not from strangers who happen
to have gotten your phone number, that isn't an option.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:19:56 -0500, "Brad" <me@here.invalid> wrote:

>You can have Verizon disable the incoming text messages.

If you do that is it no text msgs period or can you deny txt msgs from
individual senders?

>"forked" <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:30:45 -0700, Michelle Steiner
>> <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

>> >This is standard for telephone directories; it's been like this for well
>> >over fifty years.
>>

>> Thing is that fifty years ago I didn't have a cell phone that accepted
>> text/pix messages.
>>
>> Anyone that gets your number can send you any amount of text/pix
>> messages which are automatically accepted by the phone and you will
>> have to pay for them.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:46:17 GMT, "dr.wireMORE"
<dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:

>Except as follows, we won't share personal information about you with others
>without your permission.... (This doesn't include your name, address, and
>wireless number.

Sounds like pretty personal information to me. I'll have to ask about
that next time I go into my local store. I'm seriously thinking about
jumping to Alltel, anyways. I have their TOS printed out somewhere,
I'll have to read over it to see what they say about it.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:04:35 -0400, forked <replyingroup@invalid.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:19:56 -0500, "Brad" <me@here.invalid> wrote:
>
>>You can have Verizon disable the incoming text messages.
>>

>If you do that is it no text msgs period or can you deny txt msgs from
>individual senders?

You can block (black list) a limited number of individual senders or
domains at http://www.vtext.com, but the real gems of SMS spam
fighting are missing: White lists and rules.

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message

---snip---snip---snip---
> You can block (black list) a limited number of individual senders or
> domains at http://www.vtext.com, but the real gems of SMS spam
> fighting are missing: White lists and rules.

Exactly! White lists and rules are the only way to manage it effectively. I
had SMS disabled on all four of the phones I pay the bills for after each
one received 3 spams in a day, two of which were in Spanish! That was two
years ago, and that means Verizon has earned $0 from my accounts because of
the lack of proper filtering tools.

"forked" <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in message

> Anyone that gets your number can send you any amount of text/pix
> messages which are automatically accepted by the phone and you will
> have to pay for them.

I hope the wireless phone company knows that it will be handling many more
CS calls for those phone spams (telemarketing, harassment, text messaging
spam) if it chooses to publish cell phone numbers.

In article <%HTUc.2329$o_3.496@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>,
"P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> wrote:

> I hope the wireless phone company knows that it will be handling many
> more CS calls for those phone spams (telemarketing, harassment, text
> messaging spam) if it chooses to publish cell phone numbers.

Make sure you put your cell phone number on the national Do Not Call
list.

--

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <%HTUc.2329$o_3.496@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>,
> "P T Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> wrote:
>
> > I hope the wireless phone company knows that it will be handling
many
> > more CS calls for those phone spams (telemarketing, harassment,
text
> > messaging spam) if it chooses to publish cell phone numbers.
>
> Make sure you put your cell phone number on the national Do Not Call
> list.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

Actually I read the Dr.'s post and did not get a chance to respond.
Cellular carriers have had good sense to not publish your cellular
numbers due to the large migration of folks that would leave them if
they did so. Like your home phone the option to have it unpublished
yields the phone company $2.50 a month for non inclusive listings in
their database. The new wrinkle is that when you call 411 or 555-1212
for directory assistance they used to not charge for an unpublished
number, however they now say "Please hold" and the recording states
that the person your trying to reach has an unpublished number. And
they charge that $1.00 anyway. Real cute of the phone company huh?

At the present time the FCC is not allowing the including of cellular
numbers in that database per an onsite memo to that affect. I also
have read that the cellular companies have to be very careful in not
giving out your numbers as well as making sure that txt and picture
messages do not go to those that don't want them. (I know Verizon has
blocks for these services so if your not receiving them your not being
charged) I also remember that the FCC has told these carriers that
listing the phone numbers of their cellular customers is forbidden at
the present time, while they set up a rule for it. But I could be
wrong on that since it has been quite some time since I have read the
site. http://www.fcc.gov

Elector

Good information all, thanks. Here is "my" problem. The VZW customer
agreement says that Verizon CAN publish your name/address.
- Verizon doesn't currently do that; but they have been "clear" telling you
that they might/can/could
- Should Verizon start to publish your number; you have to pay extra to have
it removed Pay more for LESS.
- Should Verizon publish your information wrong; too bad, they are not
liable for mistakes.
It is all in the agreement. The fact that they don't "currently" do it,
means nothing to me. We've been warned!

I suggest that you Do NOT take contracts/agreements lightly. They are "not"
for your protection, (although they might be). This would be a better
amendment to the agreement: "'We will NOT publish your name/address/phone
number or any other information without your permission, unless we are
required to disclose it by law'"
The above is a clause in your best interest; as the current wording is just
setting the stage for verizon wireless to sell your information to others.
In my opinion, we should (I do) write to VZW and ask for its removal. dr.

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
snip>
> > Make sure you put your cell phone number on the national Do Not Call
> > list.
snip> >
> Cellular carriers have had good sense to not publish your cellular
> numbers due to the large migration of folks that would leave them if
> they did so.
snip>>
> At the present time the FCC is not allowing the including of cellular
> numbers in that database per an onsite memo to that affect.
But I could be
> wrong on that since it has been quite some time since I have read the
> site. http://www.fcc.gov
>
> Elector

Then why put into their contract that they are allowed to do it? Only one
reason: so that they CAN!! To me, that means they are lying when they claim
they are not planning on releasing your PRIVATE information.

Maybe I'll stay with AT&T and not take dozens of friends and clients with me
to Verizon.

Gregg Hill

"IMHO" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Double U" <PleaseSpamMe@myEmail.com> wrote in message
> > Some time around Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:46:17 GMT (give or take a month),
> someone who says they are
> > named "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> fired up the tubes
on
> the teletype and rambled
> > on about:
> >
> > >The updated customer agreement shows that VZW has the right to publish
my
> > >name/phone number in a directory, unless I pay a fee? And if they do,
> they
> > >aren't responsible for mistakes. Is this new, or been there all along.
> > >Sorry, I should know this. dr (apologies if this is an old topic)
> >
> > I read somewhere that verizon doesn't plan on sharing its customer list
> with anyone.
> >
> > -W
> >

> I would not think VZW would want to publish a list of their customers.
>
> Seems like just what their competitors would like to have.

>I hope the wireless phone company knows that it will be handling many more
>CS calls for those phone spams (telemarketing, harassment, text messaging
>spam) if it chooses to publish cell phone numbers.

FWIW, I think it's still illegal for a telemarketer to call a cell
phone. And it seems reasonable to me to claim that once I publish my
cell phone number in a cell directory, no one has any excuse to think
that it's a landline.

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> >I hope the wireless phone company knows that it will be handling many
> >more
>>CS calls for those phone spams (telemarketing, harassment, text messaging
>>spam) if it chooses to publish cell phone numbers.
>
> FWIW, I think it's still illegal for a telemarketer to call a cell
> phone. And it seems reasonable to me to claim that once I publish my
> cell phone number in a cell directory, no one has any excuse to think
> that it's a landline.
>
> -Joel

> Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases:
> http://www.exc.com/photography

The American Red Cross is the worst, they would not stop calling my cell
phone. I gave them my work number last time I donated and still they
persist. Sorry, had to rant, just got a call from them yesterday.

rwb

Xman

Don't bother the telemarketer's calling you, bitch to Verizon on why they
distributed our phone number's in the first place. Let me tell you folks, if
Verizon can make money off of you by selling their customer's cellular phone
list by market they certainly will! It's a done deal! And of course the
people on here won't care....they'll just sit back and take it up the ass as
usual for some weird reason. A bunch of followers, that's all.

<xman@xman.com> wrote in news:sI8zd.6219$zI.3390@fe81.usenetserver.com:

> Don't bother the telemarketer's calling you, bitch to Verizon on why
> they distributed our phone number's in the first place. Let me tell
> you folks, if Verizon can make money off of you by selling their
> customer's cellular phone list by market they certainly will! It's a
> done deal! And of course the people on here won't care....they'll just

I hate to wee in anyone's fruitloops on Christmas Day, but Verizon Wireless
executives, multiple times and in multiple interviews, have repeatedly
stated that they will not participate in any cellphone number directory or
service, and will not give out their customer's phone numbers.

While they could certainly do so anyway, they have stated their intention
to not participate so many times in public interviews that they would take
*much* heat and bad press were they to do that.

I do not have my original contract handy at the moment to see what it says.

David