Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 classic menus

Last response: in Windows 7
September 10, 2010 12:55:21 PM

It seems that I have yet to meet a person who likes the new GUI in win 7 with the exception of first time users. There must be millions of office workers who have a hard time with the new menus and also with the Ribbon interface. Will MS ever consider in future SPs offering classic menus as an option?

More about : win classic menus

a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2010 1:58:54 PM

I'm not a new user to Windows and I absolutely LOVE the new menus in Windows 7.

You CAN get the classic menu as close as possible. It's not THE classic menu. Just go to this site -> http://bit.ly/2RsYOl

However, have you actually tried to get used to it? I have Windows 7 at home and when I go to work, my laptop has Windows XP. I find it frustrating when I'm trying to find a program to run. I have to actually go THROUGH the entire menu structure whereas in Windows 7, in the search box, I can type in the name of the program and let Windows find it.

I didn't like the new Windows taskbar under Vista when it first came out. But, the taskbar under Windows 7 improves on Vista's and it is SO much better than the old Windows XP style menu.

This URL explains all the new features of the new taskbar -> http://bit.ly/osW5M

This URL gives you tips on productivity with the new taskbar. -> http://bit.ly/5wzfN9

I think once you see all that you can do with it, you won't want to go back!

September 10, 2010 2:12:05 PM

isamuelson said:
I'm not a new user to Windows and I absolutely LOVE the new menus in Windows 7.

You CAN get the classic menu as close as possible. It's not THE classic menu. Just go to this site -> http://bit.ly/2RsYOl

However, have you actually tried to get used to it? I have Windows 7 at home and when I go to work, my laptop has Windows XP. I find it frustrating when I'm trying to find a program to run. I have to actually go THROUGH the entire menu structure whereas in Windows 7, in the search box, I can type in the name of the program and let Windows find it.

I didn't like the new Windows taskbar under Vista when it first came out. But, the taskbar under Windows 7 improves on Vista's and it is SO much better than the old Windows XP style menu.

This URL explains all the new features of the new taskbar -> http://bit.ly/osW5M

This URL gives you tips on productivity with the new taskbar. -> http://bit.ly/5wzfN9

I think once you see all that you can do with it, you won't want to go back!
Well the problem is not opening programs. In Classic menus it was 2 clicks away and I put the shortcut on the desktop. The problem is that so many things are hidden that I have to constantly have to mouse click to find where the menus are?? Ribbon is the same. I was so much more productive with classic menus. I have had win7 since February and for the life of me cannot get to grips with it. Classic menus when they first appeared were so easy to learn that it took me but a few minutes to figure them out. I installed Classic Shell and this has alleviated the problem. However not all programmes installed show on the programmes list. Why did they go hide everything? I had to install also classic menus on office 2007 because I could not find anything on the Ribbon interface. I have been using computers since 1979 and never had any problems until this new GUI came out. The new explorer is truly an insult to civilisation. I am frustrated! I cannot express this more strongly. Why remove the choice of classic menus? I worked so fast with them. I know where my files are and how I want them structured. I tried using search and it failed to find "AERO" and "SLIDESHOW" amongst other things. I don't want a MAC and LINUX does not support the progs I use. This is soooooo frustrating! :( 
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2010 2:29:34 PM

^+1 Same for me!!!!
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2010 2:48:35 PM

Again, click on the start menu, and in the search box, type in what you are looking for. It will find all programs that mathc it. For example, if you are trying to find the calculator programs, just start typing that into the search bar after clicking on the ribbon. I bet before you finish typing the full word, Windows 7 will have a link for you to click on to launch it. No more searching through a ton of different menus, which is what it sounds like you are having issues with.

Next, once you find it, pin it either to the start menu or the task bar. Then, it's there forever. Seriously, the new Taskbar/Menu in Windows 7 has made me MORE productive at home and it's frustrating not having that at work and I'm a techie and I'm not new to Windows at all.

The ribbon is really not any different than the start menu. It's just called something different and they've laid things out differently. Seriously, look at the urls I posted. One will give you something VERY similar to the old-style XP bar, but also look at the tips and tricks URLs. I'm serious, once you get used to it, it's SO much better.

But, if you're not even willing to read the tips and tricks on the new taskbar/menu, I guess there's not much else to do, but I would say there's no room in complaining. However, if after reading through those and you STILL don't like it, then that's a different story.

Just trying to help.

a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2010 3:53:40 PM

If I need all the time, it's on the desk top. " One click"
Can you search faster that one click?
I have read! I have tried out! I do not use, because I do no need!
I have one window open so what does aero do for me other that look cool?
I save files to my locations so I do not search. So why should I index all my files.
Are you trolling from your office at Microsoft? When does a opnion become a complaint? When you hear it?

I'm happy that you enjoy the OS.
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2010 5:24:22 PM

mhelm1 said:
If I need all the time, it's on the desk top. " One click"
Can you search faster that one click?
I have read! I have tried out! I do not use, because I do no need!
I have one window open so what does aero do for me other that look cool?
I save files to my locations so I do not search. So why should I index all my files.
Are you trolling from your office at Microsoft? When does a opnion become a complaint? When you hear it?

I'm happy that you enjoy the OS.

Sorry if you feel I'm trolling. I'm not. I even gave you a link on how to emulate the original Windows XP menu system. I was just trying to be helpful, but if you're going to be immature about it, then I'll just leave you alone.

Sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent.
!