rpinsent

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2004
My sister wanted to upgrade computer so today I tried to instal an Abit Nf7-S and and mobile barton 2500. I did this by taking everything out of her box, installing mobo and cpu and and then putting everything back. I did not change any windows settings, etc.

The system boots and I can enter BIOS. In BIOS it says it can not recognize the CPU and lists as default 6x100 = 600mhz. This is not right.

Upon leaving BIOS the system later informs me there has been an error and has a paragraph explaining. The first reason is new hardware, which i assume is the real reason. My options are various safe modes, last good boot and normal. Nothing works and I can never get into windows. So I ask you:

1) was I naive to think I could just change the CPU and mobo and boot into windows normally? do i need to format hd?
2) is the mobo having problems with my barton, should I adjust the bios settings to reflect normal ones, if so what are they?

btw, the RAM is borrowed from my computer and works fine. Aswell i reset the BIOS with the jumper before booting.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
In theory Windows should boot up and detect a new mainboard. Well, it is not like that in many cases, I had the same experience recently when switching two old no need for separate driver-motherboards.
Only way I got everything to work was backing up the 40gig harddrive essentials and reinstalling Windows cause I didn't like to try the other options which I didn't like really much:
As far as the motherboard is concerned:
Boot-up Windows in the old system. Uninstall the motherboard drivers, uninstall all the drivers for onboard motherboard features and whatever else changes when switching to the new motherboard. I think setting VGA to standard VGA also could solve some problems. But before you do all this wait for more replys cause this might solve your problem, I have done it before only once and there are people around with a lot more experience.
Anyway, I would go for a clean install if it causes no data-loss problems.
As far as you cpu is concerned:
Make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed. If not, flash it. That should solve the problem. If not, manually set the cpu to the default settings (being a fsb of 166MHz and a 11x multiplier leaving it at 1833Mhz) and 1,45 Vcore (if your motherboard will allow it), otherwise go as low as you can. Just save these settings.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Windows doesn't like motherboard changes. Do a repair installation of windows.

The Mobile Barton is completely unlocked, the board doesn't know what to default it to. Set it to normal settings, or pick something you like. Most of the guys here are starting them out at 200x11 I think.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
The mobile barton default settings for a laptop are:

133x14.5=1866Mhz @ 1.45 volts.
(The Desktop 2500 is 166x11 @ 1.65V)

The nice thing about these babies (Mobiles)is how they overclock.Raise the memory voltage to 2.7 and the core voltage to 1.55. I wouldn't be surprised if you're stable for 190x11.0 or more. Play around with the voltages and FSB in that range for an easy and stable overclock.

Run good tests, like the Prime95 torture tests, while monitoring the temperature. At least two hours each for both the heat and the floating point test. Read up on overclocking.

The loving are the daring!