Sign in with
Your question

RTS Recommendation

Last response: in Video Games
July 17, 2010 5:09:53 AM

I'm kinda bored lately,I wanted to play some modern warfare base building resource gathering kind of game for PC.
If anyone have a nice game please tell me.

PS: Any game or mod will do but not C&C Generals. I'm bored of that game

More about : rts recommendation

July 17, 2010 9:28:05 PM

Anyone ?
July 22, 2010 7:19:17 AM

Quote:
Starcraft II?

Something modern and real
Starcraft 2 is a good game but when I tried the beta I don't really like it
Related resources
July 22, 2010 1:49:56 PM

Modern is tough.

World in Conflict is gonna be the best know.

There are a couple that span multiple ages such as Age of Empires series...Rise of Nations.

In all honesty I would say 90% of RTS take place either in the past or in the future...not too many modern day ones out there that I know of.
July 22, 2010 4:08:33 PM

I've played World in Conflict and the Soviet Assault expansion pack. The game is cool but there is no base building resource gathering.
Well i wish someone will make that game.
July 22, 2010 6:13:21 PM

Forgot about the non-base building part...

hmmm...I really don't know...nothing is really coming to mind...might need to look at some smaller indie publishers to see if they have something.
July 23, 2010 6:34:32 AM

Ok I'll be looking for something like that.........................
July 24, 2010 4:13:14 AM

I'll try to find Rise of Nations if they still selling them in stores or I'll be looking in eBay or Amazon in that case.
August 4, 2010 8:03:39 PM

Company of Heroes is the best RTS out there right now because it is so tactical and there are so many ways to do things. It's not just about what units you build by a long shot. I say that not having played SC2 yet. Give the game some time and you will realize why.

World in Conflict is decent, but since the teams are so large battles become completely lopsided with a lack of skilled players. Rise of Nations is sorely outdated, it is basically Age of Empires with a campaign map and units that shoot guns.
August 5, 2010 3:53:07 PM

fisch said:
Company of Heroes is the best RTS out there right now because it is so tactical and there are so many ways to do things. It's not just about what units you build by a long shot. I say that not having played SC2 yet. Give the game some time and you will realize why.

World in Conflict is decent, but since the teams are so large battles become completely lopsided with a lack of skilled players. Rise of Nations is sorely outdated, it is basically Age of Empires with a campaign map and units that shoot guns.

I don't really like Company of Heroes mainly it is all about micro-management and I like to spam units and blow up my friend's base and get the feeling that you are owing someone.
World in Conflict is not so bad on the single player but multiplayer it could get messy sometimes.

So far I've been playing my friend's Rise of Nations Gold for a few weeks now it agree with you that it is quite out-dated and the game is too complicated and annoying sometimes.

I wanna know which Age Of Empire is fun so I can go and find it.

Thanks
August 6, 2010 12:48:29 PM

Yea CoH is definitely all about micro and delicate build paths, it is pure strategy. If you want a game where you throw units at eachother try the ancient but awesome Total Annihilation or its evolution Supreme Commander/Supreme Commander 2. That game is the epitome of throwing units at eachother. Its a futuristic sci fi setting not a modern combat setting though.
August 10, 2010 10:59:16 AM

Supreme Commander sounds good I'll give it a try
August 10, 2010 11:47:28 AM

Wait, CoH is now defined as a micro management game?
August 10, 2010 5:17:51 PM

@gamer

Of course it is, hell leaving some units alone for even a second is suicide. Anti tank weapons will sit there taking fire, snipers inexplicably move forward after each shot and move out of cover as do infantry.

What would you call a micromanagement game?

@OP

Sup com, not the sup com 2, avoid unless on sale. Is a great game that has tons of base building and you can build massive armies of hundreds of units. Games take a while though. It is not without flaws but they are bearable.

The second one is a consolised POS which needs the map sizes of the original one.
August 11, 2010 12:11:38 PM

I've never had those problems in CoH; besides, there is generally very little reason to have one unit type by itself for any length of time. Combined Arms, not giant unit stacks.
August 11, 2010 10:30:43 PM

@strange

I would call micromanagement little things like taxes and resource gathering. Anything separate from the battle really.
August 12, 2010 7:59:57 PM

Interesting, I always think of it as the more time needed controlling the units rather than giving a general order. I suppose it depends on the game for me.
August 25, 2010 8:51:59 PM

age of empire 3 is really good, but the best rts for stratagy has got to be the total war series. Go for empire total war(personally prefer it too napoleon because of bigger campaign map),its not modern day but is just amazing
August 26, 2010 7:49:27 PM

While not fully RTS, but containing RTS elements, I'd suggest taking a look at the Total War series.

SupComm is good. I bought SupComm2 about 3 months ago and have only played one game so far, which is pretty telling.
August 27, 2010 7:12:22 PM

SupCom was good, but the units were too much alike. Cybrans were the only ones that really had a different ability, but it was at the cost of the highest level shield structure so it really wasn't worth it.

I liked TA so much more...even though it only had 2 factions even the "similar" units were different enough. For example the gunship craft...Arm had ones that fired fast but weak shots...Core had stronger missles but slower firing. Arm gunships were better at air to air and Core were better for structure demolition.
August 31, 2010 8:41:09 PM

If you can stand playing old games and are looking for a good single player RTS, you might want to look into Warzone 2100. Wasn't sure if you were just looking for a multiplayer or single player game. It's a little futuristic, but not much. Still has tanks, technology, customizable units, and a good campaign for a RTS.

The premise is there is a worldwide nuclear holocaust around 2050 I think. You're apart of a group of survivors who have been living in some kind of bomb shelter waiting until 2100 for the radiation to drop. The group sets out to find lost technology and to rebuild civilization, but there are other groups out there who are more technologically advanced than you.

It was released on PC, but I played it on PSX. Didn't know it was released on PC at the time. It's about 10 years old.
!