Sign in with
Your question

Future Proof

Last response: in Video Games
July 17, 2010 5:22:49 AM

Hello, What games are out (or are coming out soon) that have very high system requirements or graphics that would be good to base a gaming computer build off of?

More about : future proof

July 17, 2010 5:48:37 AM

i've heard mafia 2 will have pretty high system requirements but im not 100% sure
Crysis 2? i'd base those requirements maybe a little higher than crysis 1 becuase its gonna be a lot more optimized than the first one (since it's gonna be on consoles)
July 17, 2010 6:57:40 AM

As a thumb rule, if you want to play all the current games at max @ 1900 X 1200, & future proof a bit, don't get any lesser than Phenom II X4/X6 or i5-750. In case of GPU: gtx 460 1 GB & above.
Related resources
July 17, 2010 3:43:37 PM

can anyone accually link a page to mafia 2 requirements? i've just heard their really high
July 17, 2010 3:47:51 PM

Just Cause 2 has quite a toll on systems as well. Are you looking at a game's system requirements to use as a template to build a rig? If so you prob want to think about from a different perspective of hardware longevity.

A good example is still quad cores vs dual core CPUs for gaming. Dual core do just fine right now but more and more games are starting to utilize all 4 threads. Take a look at this article below. It is pretty interesting.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/07/05/how-ma...
July 17, 2010 5:14:29 PM

Ok so i've looked at the system requirements of: Mafia 2, Crysis 2, Just Cause 2, and Stalker:CoP. The only ones that seemed like they had high system requirements were Just Cause 2 and Stalker. Although this might be because Mafia 2 and Crysis 2 haven't come out yet.

SpinachEater said:
Just Cause 2 has quite a toll on systems as well. Are you looking at a game's system requirements to use as a template to build a rig? If so you prob want to think about from a different perspective of hardware longevity.

A good example is still quad cores vs dual core CPUs for gaming. Dual core do just fine right now but more and more games are starting to utilize all 4 threads. Take a look at this article below. It is pretty interesting.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/07/05/how-ma...

Well I wasn't necessarily going to use the game as a template but a starting place of knowing what I would need in a system to be able to play most of the games
July 18, 2010 3:53:05 AM

Ah yeah, that is a good start. Lucky for you the GTX 460 is causing some video card price drops so it is a good time to build.
July 18, 2010 4:10:28 AM

Thanks for all the help
July 18, 2010 4:31:49 AM

I would use Crysis as the defacto standard. Crysis 2 will have lower requirements. I would say if you can build a system that can give you a minimum of 45 FPS in Crysis with everything maxed out at 1920 x 1200, then you'll be in good shape.
July 18, 2010 11:35:30 AM

Isn't Metro2033 more demanding will all options activated in DX11 than Crysis ? I think so.
July 19, 2010 7:04:08 AM

Metro 2033 is a slideshow w/ a 5870 @ 1650X1050, max settings. And the graphics barely compare to those of Crysis. Just goes on to show that Metro is a poorly coded game. So I don't think it qualifies as a practical benchmark. Having Crysis as one is much more sensible.
July 24, 2010 3:21:37 AM

Say if you're adjusting a game like Metro 2033 using the Nvidia Control Panal and setting all the settings you never could ingame such as texture quality to High Quality and Anti-Aliasing to 32x, then yeah, I've heard even 3 GTX 480s can't run it. But a lot of people don't do that.

I'd have to go with Crysis 2 (but kick the recommended specs up a notch personally).
July 29, 2010 3:59:34 AM

rockercello said:
Hello, What games are out (or are coming out soon) that have very high system requirements or graphics that would be good to base a gaming computer build off of?

I don't think anything compares to Crysis and possibly Crysis 2. Thats about as good as it gets.
July 29, 2010 4:55:02 AM

Just build your system around the Intel i7 960 and two HD 5970.

Fill in the blanks with a XFire compatible motherboard, 1000w PSU and 6GB of RAM.
July 29, 2010 6:11:17 AM

if your wanting to stick with dx10 i would go for a gtx260 or 2-3 depending on your budget im using one of them atm and i get 30+ fps in crisis so its playable
July 29, 2010 8:35:43 AM

Future Proofing is pretty hard to do in the PC world, that said 4 years ago I built a pair of pc's with 2.4ghz core2 processors and 8800GTX graphics cards, those 4 year old rigs still play most games absolutely fine in the hands of my kids.

The 2.4ghz CPU arent quite good enough for "everything", but the e8400 I used in my next rig have never been that badly taxed when running only one game at a time (I did however upgrade to a quadcore when running 4 copies of a certain mmorpg at once) But for "Normal" gaming use I found a dual core 3ghz CPU Plenty good enough.

When it comes to GPU's my current rigs have the 4870's bought at release as a "bargain upgrade" to my then aging 8800GTX's. These graphics cards are still plenty powerfull enough for most current gaming, however certain titles they arent quite upto running "maxxed".

When it comes to building a new Rig now for the future, I believe we are looking at new technologies rather than just incremental graphics increases. I dont think from current technologies theres much improvements to make over crysis etc. Its been 2.5 years and nothing has came out yet to "double system requirements" over crysis. I think we will see some improvements, but not huge progress still on the normal DX graphics improvements.

However I believe theres other technologies waiting in the wings to suck up spare GPU power. Nvidias 3d system has the potential to tax graphics cards for some time to come, and the reviews Ive seen so far from those testing the tech suggest that this might well be a future trend for games in general. Its a gold mine for GPU companies, they can literally double your graphics card requirements overnight when you get the tech :D .

If I were building a rig today Id certainly be checking out nvidias 3d technology, Id be concentrating on spending most of my money on the GPU, preferably with a mother board and power supply capable of supporting two for a cost effective shot in the arm later. I wouldnt plan on SLI from the start (Im not a fan of multi GPU setups - but would use it as a cost saving upgrade path). As far as processors go, anything half decent these days should do what you want it to for quite some time to come, I use the LCD screen on my keyboard to measure CPU use in realtime whilst gaming, and the old E8400's rarely saw either core getting too heavily abused during gaming. My newer quad cores often see one core peaking at 75% and the rest pretty much idle...

Also I love SSD's, A pair in a raid would be a nice extra boost for drive intensive games like mmorpgs etc. I have one which I use purely for installing my mmorpgs on. It really makes a difference in heavily populated areas (thats compared to side by side playing with my wife whos rig is identical but lacking the SSD)

July 29, 2010 7:59:52 PM

Maffia 2 is the game I'm expecting the most of from all games being released soon.
Its mim requirements are:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
Memory: 1.5 Gb
Hard Drive: 8 Gb free
Video Memory: 512 Mb
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard
Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

Reconmended are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.5 Ghz / AMD Phenom X4 @ 2.5 Ghz
Memory: 2 Gb
Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
Video Memory: 1 Gb
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon HD 3870
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard
Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

For 3D (and Physics) you'll obviously need a very good nVidia card.
July 29, 2010 8:02:40 PM

Found them for 3D:

PHSYX/APEX ENHANCEMENTS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
OS: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
Minimum CPU: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
Recommended CPU: 2.66 GHz Core i7-920
RAM: 2 GB

Video Cards and resolution for APEX medium settings
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (or better) for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better)

Video Cards and resolution for APEX High settings
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better) and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 285 (or better) for PhysX
NVIDIA GPU driver: 197.13 or later.
NVIDIA PhysX driver: 10.04.02_9.10.0522. (Included and automatically installed with the game.)
!