Samsung 512GB SSD Has Toggle-mode DDR NAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Well this won't be cheap, but I guess the good news is with each new step, the older models are less viable and become way way cheaper! We hopefully will see that magical 1$ per GB number soon!

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Well this won't be cheap, but I guess the good news is with each new step, the older models are less viable and become way way cheaper! We hopefully will see that magical 1$ per GB number soon![/citation]

I'm waiting for $0.4 per GB to upgrade... I'm waiting sitting down, luckily.

tanjali

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Why ignoring already better technology with SandForce based controller processors and investing in slower one, is it going really going to be cheaper and with room to develop?

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
"The toggle-mode DDR structure together with the SATA 3.0Gbps interface generates a maximum sequential read speed of 250 MBps and a 220MBps sequential write speed, both of which provide three-fold the performance of a typical hard disk drive."

This is stated as if we don't already have drives capable of doing this...

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
And what is "toggle-mode"? Is there a switch on the unit to make it go faster? If so (or something like that) what's the drawback to just having that be on all the time?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Well this won't be cheap, but I guess the good news is with each new step, the older models are less viable and become way way cheaper! We hopefully will see that magical 1$ per GB number soon![/citation]
you realize $1 per GB will still make this SSD $512... I've seen a few SSD's on sale that have been $1.50 per gig, still way to much. tell me when this is in the ~$200 range

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
How long before motherboards incorporate a few gigs of DDR NAND allowing you to install your OS on them. Seems like a good idea to me.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]freiheitner[/nom]And what is "toggle-mode"? Is there a switch on the unit to make it go faster? If so (or something like that) what's the drawback to just having that be on all the time?[/citation]

Haha, turbo button..... oh, did i just show my age.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]SAAIELLO[/nom]Ah the good old turbo button my 486DX2 used to rock in turbo mode LOL.[/citation]

Yeap, my 286 16mhz had it too... dropped freq to 8mhz if I remember. Some games that were made to run on the 8088/86 woudl require me to press or they would run CRAZY fast.

I run the G2 intel SSDs at home and at work. Best investment ever. My system is as fast as it was day 1 when I installed... and no more disk thrashing noise (that pierces me like a craying infant).

Once we have higher production these things will be just as cheap as HDs, just a matter of time before they are obsolete. The future of SSDs looks bright with new NAND replacement tech as well. MRAM being one of them.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
The toggle-mode DDR structure together with the SATA 3.0Gbps interface generates a maximum sequential read speed of 250 MBps and a 220MBps sequential write speed, both of which provide three-fold the performance of a typical hard disk drive.

SSD's are absolutely choked by the SATA II standard. How come manufacturers havn't decided to utilize SATA III with these? I only know that Crucial has SATA III SSD's and their read/writes are 355MB/215MB for their 256GB model. OCZ has the edge with the PCI-Express SSD model, but the price on those are outrageous.

Not only am I waiting for these things to get cheaper, but I'm also waiting for the standard swap to SATA III.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]SSD's are absolutely choked by the SATA II standard. How come manufacturers havn't decided to utilize SATA III with these? I only know that Crucial has SATA III SSD's and their read/writes are 355MB/215MB for their 256GB model. OCZ has the edge with the PCI-Express SSD model, but the price on those are outrageous.Not only am I waiting for these things to get cheaper, but I'm also waiting for the standard swap to SATA III.[/citation]

Just to add, the OCZ models can acheive about 1.4GB read/write. Again, I say that until a more effecient bandwidth/connection standard is developed for these, they'll be little like loading bb's into a bazooka.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Wow! three times faster! half the capacity! and three times the cost! Gogo Gadget!
Sorry about that... as long the drives cost as much as three times the magnetics ones this drives won't be other than Gadgets for those who have lot to spend and less to worry about.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Eh, people make too much about the price of the object and fail yet to realize how impressive this is on a daily basis. I put a Vertex 1 120 gb drive into a netbook (Asus EEE PC 1000h) and it was a great computer until I couldn't stand the 600 horizontal lines of resolution.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Just bought a 2TB HD for $99. I'd be willing to spend double the $/GB on an SSD (this 512GB would need to be $50), but we aren't even close to that right now.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
It's finally at a capacity that interests me but until it can be less than double the comparable magnetic drive per GB it will remain out of reach for all but the most demanding customers.

I'd be happy to pick up a 500GB SSD for around $200, which is still well over twice the per GB of current magnetic drives. Just the price point and capacity where I will enter into this market. This new drive is just one step in that direction (capacity).

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Metallifux[/nom]How long before motherboards incorporate a few gigs of DDR NAND allowing you to install your OS on them. Seems like a good idea to me.[/citation]

This is almost exactly what Intel did to demo their 80 core super computer on a chip design a while back. The blade server market is heading towards this as well due to smaller size and power requirements that are well suited for that market.

Status
Not open for further replies.