Basic MOBO Failure Troubleshooting

hipbemovin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Can someone point me to a good source for diagnosing motherboard failures, or do I have to return the boards to the manufacturer? I built a PC for a friend with an MSI K8N Neo Platinum board and have had two separate boards fail using two different power supplies, even after burning in at my house with testing software. Can attached peripherals or the case itself cause a mobo to completely fail, assuming proper incoming power and temperature are controlled? I've built many PC's and haven't encountered a problem like this before. Thanks.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've seen this happen in installations without a properly grounded UPS or surge protector. A good cold-water ground is worth it's weight in gold. Spikes kill!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

pat

Expert
I went trhu 4 MSI mobo for a p4 system before having one that lasted more than 4 days...dont give up, you'll find one good eventually!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

skeelo34

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
I have the same problem. Been running an epox 8kha+ with athlon 1600 in my antec sonata case for about a year. Put in a msi neo2 platinum with a winchester 939 a64 3000 and it lasted about a week before it fried my power supply and the board. I rma'd it to newegg, and the next board lasted about a week. Luckily it did not kill my power supply. I'm currenty rma'ing this one and will never in my life buy an MSI board. I cant explain the frustration it has brought to me.