MISLEADING INFORMATION

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
I have recently purchased a Biostar IDEQ 200N Barebones System (FS-002-BS) from www.overclockers.co.uk and I think I have been misled with regards to its capabilities.

The Biostar website clearly states this board can support 400FSB CPU’s up to +3000 AMD, and RAM up to DDR333, where as the Overclockers website states it can take 400FSB +3200 AMD, and DDr400 RAM support. Now as I have bought all my components with the mini pc off the overclockers website, I also purchased an AMD 3200+ and 512MB of DDR400 ram. According to the Biostar site this wont work, but to Overclockers it will, does anyone have any idea as to which it may be? As the pc wont boot at all, I get no monitor feedback, but FDD / CD ROM / LED lights are on..?

There should be a jumper to put the board into compatabilty mode. Running the FSB @ 100Mhz. After that, get a BIOS update from manufactures website - flash your BIOS. Then try it at FSB 200Mhz (DDR400). If this don't work - return the board.

<A HREF="http://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/TV_Shows/Simpsons/flanderssong.mp3" target="_new">Audio Sig</A>|<A HREF="http://community.tomshardware.com/images/logo_black_xmas2.gif" target="_new">I made this!</A>

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
i tried hwat you suggested, closing pins 2-3 of the specific jumper, but still no monitor feedback, and the FDd/CDROM were doing the same strange actions as before, constantly trying to read a CD ROM, and the FDD light constantly on, i dont know what this means, nor where to go from here

pat

Expert
The light always on on the floppy means that the cable is plugged backward.

Onboard video on nforce2 system doesnt like 400 mhz fsb...limit of the chipset.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
"Onboard video on nforce2 system doesnt like 400 mhz fsb...limit of the chipset."

so what do i do with regards to that? replace the cpu, the ram what? is this why the monitor wont boot?

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
u mean i can change the speed of the ram to run at 333? but how if i cant get the monitor to give me feedback..

pat

Expert
Maybe by replugging the floppy cable right if you havent done it yet. red wire toward the power connector, that should cure the led always on

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
fixed the LED problem yes =] but still no monitor feedback?? and the CD ROM is stil lacting strange, liek its tryign to acess a cd constantly, i dont know, but no, no monitor feedback at all still... please help

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
ok cd rom unplug'd, cd rom is now not doign anything as pexpected, but stillll no monitor feeback, and im gettign very confused, is it the ram?

pat

Expert
It might be, but if you can put another video card to test it, or you could try to reset the BIOS too...

pat

Expert
unplug it from the wall and use a little screwdriver to shot the pins. or alternatively, you could remove the battery for 2-3 minutes

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
hmm, well i just tried replacing the ram with 256 DDR 266 and it stil ldoes the same thing, its like, its like, you hear 2 clicks, as if it tries to reboot twice then gives up i dont understand..

pat

Expert
Remove everything and try to boot only the board/cpu/mem with the moniyor connected. remove even keyboard and mouse...keep the bare minimum. Is there is any jumper to enable/disable yje onboard video? check to be sure to enable it.

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
no jumpers to enable as far as i can see, tried, still blank monitor, evne tried takign the ram out and nothing, except u dotn hear those clicks as i its trying to reboot.

monitor works fine on another pc

pat

Expert
Ok, what if you hold the INS (insert) key when you turn the machine on? hold it long enough, maybe 30 secondes if not more...it should reset something

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WRONG! Geeze, I HATE repeating myself OVER AND OVER AND OVER! The floppy cable goes on with the red stripe on the left as you face the back. That's compared to most CD-ROM's having the red stripe on the right as you face the back.

What's the difference? Don't all floppy drives have the power connector on the left? NO. Panasonic drives are VERY GOOD and VERY POPULAR, yet have the power connector on the right side of the drive. Yet the red stripe STILL goes on the left. Samsung drives often have the power on the right, yet the red stripe still goes on the left! Same deal with NEC.

So you could modify your rule "Red stripe always goes facing power, unless the power is on the right of a floppy drive" but that doesn't make any sense! The rule: There isn't one that matches all devices. Floppy drives always have pin1 on the left side of the plug.

If you have a keyed cable, the floppy key always faces downward, even though some drives didn't have a key notch! For CD-ROM and hard drives, the key usually faces upward!

So it's easy to say that the Floppy connector is upside-down compared to IDE connectors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mewii

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
wow cause that was really relevent... the pc wont boot and ur talking about ide cables? FDD and cdrom are unplug'd anyway, still nothing concerning the zero feedback fro mteh monitor

What's your Graphics card?

<A HREF="http://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/TV_Shows/Simpsons/flanderssong.mp3" target="_new">Audio Sig</A>|<A HREF="http://community.tomshardware.com/images/logo_black_xmas2.gif" target="_new">I made this!</A>