vipers198

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
This will be my second computer I've built myself and I've run into some problems and I'm not sure what to do.

1) The power plug is smaller than the plug in the motherboard. It still turns on ok but this worries me and might be the cause of another problem.

2) Now when everything is connected and when I turn on the computer, I smell plastic burning and something is making a hissing sound. I'm pretty sure it's the processor but I don't want to turn it on again obviously.

CPU:
Pentium 4 3.2 g w/ HT socket 478
Prescott core

Board:
Albatron PX915P4c/G4C Pro

Any help would much appreciated.

cheepgeek

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004
check for bad capacitors, could be the insides boiling and oozing out, that smells kinda bad too. i don't know if it's possible to save mobo when that happens... read around in here.
the 24 pin PS connector isn't that big a deal if your PSU is big enough. i just bought a nice one off newegg and all it uses is an apaptor from the standard 20 pin - 24 pin. nothing too fancy. you do need to be sure you put the 20 pin on your mobo correctly though. my ASUS P5P800 left the bottom 4 open and lined up the top end. all the extra 4 pins are is +3,+5,+12,GND. just a little extra juice on each.
if all this is fine disconnect case fans and try again. it may be a cheapo fans rubbing or cheapo motors burning, hence the plastic smell.
CPU, RAM, drives are probably fine. give it a shot and post in here again.

ASUS P5P800 - P4 530 3.0GHz
2x256MB PC3200 2-2-2-5 - WD 74GB Raptor
PNY FX5200 128MB/256bit

pat

Expert
what about reading the faq in the forum? you know,the first post?

Once you've read that and still have problems, come back and tell us what you did, you check???

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

vipers198

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
So ok I disconnected all the fans, turned it on, and after a few seconds the PSU started sparking. I turned it off immediately. So I'm assuming it's a shoddy PSU but could it b the motherboard? I don't want to take it back only to find out it's ok and I'm an idiot.

By the way, I tried the FAQ and didn't see my particular problem addresed.

Sparking PSU = teh Bad PSU!!!!!!1111one

<A HREF="http://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/TV_Shows/Simpsons/flanderssong.mp3" target="_new">Audio Sig</A>|<A HREF="http://community.tomshardware.com/images/logo_black_xmas2.gif" target="_new">I made this!</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
By the way, I tried the FAQ and didn't see my particular problem addresed

But you dont know what the particular problem is. The faq gives you basic info and some things that you should make sure that you have done. If you were told to read the faq then did so, one could assume that you had at least gone through and checked for some of the possible causes.

PSU is probably toast now. What brand and specs?