Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Warhammer

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

bertimus

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Should I play Aion or Warhammer?

I played WoW for 3 years, I was a 3 time Gladiator, pre-nerf Illidan/Brutallus/Felmyst kills in BC, and 11/12 Hard mode ICC in Wotlk, with death's demise and grand crusader. Between my shaman and DK, i have over 200 days played on my account...

I tell y'all these credentials to let you know how hardcore I was with the game. I have put it down and I'm looking for a game that I can play MUCH more casually, but still have fun with some PvP and such.

Which game has the best PvP (that is what i'm most concerned with)

Which game has better graphics?

How casually can you play either game and still have fun?

Any other details would be greatly appreciated!

mspisz

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I agree with zipzoom...
I used to play EVE online for a year and after I when I looked back on much time and money I wasted on a single game I wa sin shock and depression. The best thing that happened to me in that game when I gave my account away to free myself :p

Bruv get a Bad Company 2 and do some ass whooping there instead :p

hopar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I lly hate ppl that say that MMOs are a money sink. Unless you stay at home and just play and watch pirated stuff, MMOs have one of the lowest entertainment/$ value all around.

In WoW you will pay $180 a year for the subscription. Good luck stretching that $180 just for a month of going to the movies and going out to eat/drink.

Also WoW is, for the msot part, 100% relaxation, while going out can get you tired, so if you have a busy schedule, you will spend more time if you "socialize".

To answer the OPs question, I think Warhhamer has the best PvP of any MMO out there if you like group based PvP (think BGs). Aion provides more opportunity for smaller scale solo or group pvp.

ssjgokoux2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hopar I have to disagree with you on WOW 100% Relaxation. I'm on the verge of quiting when it comes to Raiding. You can't get 10 people on a timely basis and try to get 25 people. Its extremely difficult but it really just depends how you play the game. I have 8 toons on WOW, lots of wasted time and only able to do that since I have a wife that is addicted to WOW.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

This is another one of these gaming myths that annoy the hell out of me. MMOs certainly have about as good a cost:entertainment ratio as anything you'll find out there. $15/month for the amount of gaming the average MMO player will get out of a game is peanuts. XBox gamers are paying near that a month just to have the capability to play online and new game costs as much as 4 months of MMO play. I don't play MMOs anymore in part because I have more money to be able to do other more costly activities. I played MMOs when I really didn't have the money to spend on other things.

bertimus

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Money isn't the pressing issue here for me, guys.

I spent a lot less money while playing WoW than had I done something else that involved driving or doing anything else really that costs money.

That said, I'm done with the game.

I tried playing crysis some and although the graphics are good, I just don't think its very interesting. I'm thinking about trying out CoD:MWF2 and BFBC2, but I'm really more of an RPG type player than a FPS enthusiast.

After looking at warhammer and watching some gameplay videos, it looks just like WoW, essentially.

Aion looks really cool on the gameplay videos, but everyone I know says that its even more grindy than WoW and that the endgame stuff is not fun..

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
You know you can play WoW casually too right? It just takes self-control. Many people have full-time jobs, family, other activities, etc... and still play WoW from time-to-time. Granted, it may be more difficult to get all them e-peen stroking fancy titles and what-not, but you can still enjoy the game. Good luck.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Guild Wars is free. Only paid part is if you want more character slots. Otherwise, you have access to all the quests depending on which game you have. There are three stand alone versions that don't require any of the other two (Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall). Another expansion pack was released called Eye of the North but it requires at least one of the original three campaigns (Prophecies, Factions or Nightfall).

The towns are persisted, but as you leave a town on a quest, you must form a party at that point (either with other players online or else using computer controlled players including henchman). Therefore, once you are on a quest, no one else can join you. Some hate this because if someone wants to join you, you would have to quit the quest and go back to a town/post. Others like it because you can't get raided. Others don't like it because it takes away from the free feel you get from WoW where you can just go out and explore, so the world doesn't feel as open as it does in WoW.

Also, your character is capped at level 20. However, what the game wants you to focus on is your skills/abilities, not your level to make you powerful. Therefore, you have to plan accordingly based on what your skills are along with what type of character you are playing.

There are PvP areas in addition to the standard player vs. environment. Plus, you can create guild clans and go out and compete against other clans.

It's a fun game to play at times and you can do it at your own pace without having the pressure of having to go out and raid or grind. There were times where I played about 30 minutes and then stopped to come back later. They definitely tried to set it up for people that don't like grinding for long hours like WoW sometimes might require you to do. You CAN play GW for hours if you want (I have), but I like the ability to play about 30 minutes to an hour and then stop. I think 90 minutes was the longest quest I had to do and that was with a friend because it was basically the end of Prophecies. One tough quest! Yuck!

Steam sometimes has it on sale for the entire pack (the three campaigns plus the expansion pack).

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Have you considered something other than video games? You'll probably find that if you take up something completely non video game related it will make playing games more enjoyable when you do play them.

bertimus

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

Using this as an example.. Don't get the idea that I played ALL the time, I just got to a point where I couldn't play casually any more and still have fun.

I was hardcore at the game, but I actually did have a life while playing it. I balanced work/school/fraternity pretty well with the game. This past semester, I ended up missing a couple meetings for raids, but overall I don't really feel like I was addicted to the game, I'm just a really competitive person, so I couldn't just PvP, I had to get glad. So over the course of a few years of arena, I got to where I could pull consistently gladiator caliber ratings the last few seasons on my shaman. The same goes for PvE, I didn't like playing with 12 year olds that didn't know how to play and do nothing but trash talk the entire time, so I joined a good guild and started killing more internet dragons :p

I enjoy video games, I just don't want to have to be as dependent on other people's schedules to be competitive at them. I.E. I want to be able to log on when I want, play when I want, and still be better than everyone else :p without having to build a schedule around the video game.

bertimus

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

I have plenty of non-video game hobbies, actually. I slolam ski, bike, play intramural football and golf with my fraternity, and do lots of other stuff. I was just hoping for some insight on these games from other people that might have played them and have something positive or negative to say about them from a personal experience standpoint :)

mspisz

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
What about Fallen Earth? Its FPS RPG game... played the trial and it was quite good. The theme is quite nice as well and has a lot in common with WoW.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Well between the two games you listed I would say give Warhammer a shot. I had a blast leveling just casually PvPing in the world PvP zones and doing some scenarios(similar to BGs from WoW) when it is slow.

The game is very similar to WoW, especially since WoW took a lot of nice features from Warhammer (Queue for Scenarios from anywhere, achievement system, etc.). Movement is not as fluid as WoW, but better than EQ2 or LotRO.

It is a fun game to play when one needs a break from WoW, though the endgame is pretty lacking and I imagine that is why it is hard for the game to keep subscriptions.

About Aion... Beautiful game... Super Korean grindfest game. Leveling 1 - 20 was fine, they have a lot of quests to keep you occupied and you are able to switch the PvE instance you are in if the small questing zones are crowded. Once you hit 20 and get to the next zone you are stuck with your whole faction crowding up the zone.

Now these zones are small... Hmmm... maybe about the size of 25% average WoW zone and then throw mountains, paths, trees, and bunches of mobs. You will get about 6 quests which are repeatable quests... so you will have to do them each around 40 times (competing against everyone else) until you hit 25 when you finally can do some PvP!

It is fail, don't even bother. ;p

But after you fiddle with either one of them, you will eventually be back to WoW. Either with an alt for a fresh start or going back to wipe your boots on poor Arthas. =(

hopar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Get in a descent guild. For me I log in during raid times, raid, have fun, earn DKP, get loot?

My guild raids about twice a week for 25 mans, 3 hours a pop, with occasional 10 mans going as well mostly for alts. Its pretty casual. If I want more playtime I pvp or play the auction house mini game :)

And to the OP, once you play a good MMO for a while, no other non-MMO game can ever feel that void, its like myspace on freeking crack :p

Haaketime

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I heard Aion is just another one of those "Korean Grindfest" type games, though I haven't had time to play it myself. From what I've been told though, the level of customization and graphics are fantastic. So if that's your thing. (And go figure, someone just posted that, haha).

I had the opportunity to be involved in Warhammer's alpha testing period, it was pretty neat back then. So give it a shot. I hear the whole PVP leveling thing is cool, but my friend's guildmate said he preferred the PVP in WoW, as far as arena was concerned.

As far as MMOs go though, maybe sit around for FF XIV? That's supposed to be pretty awesome. Apparently they're taking out all the negative features in FF XI and building from there.

I quit WoW awhile ago and started back up with console gaming. There are some pretty neat offerings out in that direction. You can always go trophy/achievement hunting, that doesn't take considerable time and you can still look better than everyone else. Haha.

bertimus

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for the discussion guys! I think i'm just going to quit MMO's completely. I think I'm going to try and find some "hack 'n slash" games to play around with. Maybe devil may cry 4, assassins creed, some cool stuff like that.

Starting a new thread about hack 'n slash games, I invite all of you to check it out and voice your opinions there!