Sign in with
Your question

Help me with this please

Last response: in Video Games
July 18, 2010 5:24:52 AM

Hello,
I am an avid user of steam i own quiet a few of steam powered games.....steam has worked perfectly fine for me up until now....my dad (who thinks everything on a computer is either a hack or a virus) did an entire computer clean up not a restore but a virus scan....well avira saw every single program i had as a virus and acted on that, well when he let me back on the computer i went to play gmod and steam wouldnt run, so i tried the gmod shortcut and it still wouldnt run steam none of my games run any more so i uninstalled steam and reinstalled it and you should know during first run it updates but it shouldnt sit there for almost an hour and say updating and not load a single percent someone please help me i need a way to either stop steam from updating and bypass it or just force the update

More about : question

July 18, 2010 5:34:44 AM

Uh, maybe the anti virus program is running a firewall and saying that steam is unsafe and not allowing the update so open up the anti virus and see if theirs a firewall portion of it and find the exceptions thing and yea thats all i can help you with right now
m
l
July 18, 2010 5:44:03 AM

Try doing a system restore (if you can) to the point of time that you can remember Steam was running properly.
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2010 6:02:56 AM

a system restore is impossible at this point.....im 16 and am not admin cause my parents dont trust me with a computer when my dad messes it up more than i do..... and my firewall would say something if it blocked it and it doesnt say anything about it does anyone kno of like a way to deactivate norton without being admin long enough to run steam?
m
l
July 18, 2010 11:51:32 AM

if you have many games on steam then surely the would take avery long time to download? could this be why the % tracker is 'not' moving, when in fact it is just moving slowly.
m
l
July 18, 2010 12:40:39 PM

Whats your download speed? 13thmonkey might be right there are times when the net moves as slow as like 50kps then you wouldnt see much change in % ...
m
l
July 18, 2010 2:41:24 PM

Your parents don't trust you ? Well good for them. Nice to see parents looking over their children's shoulders. Not enough of that these days.... CUDOS!
m
l
July 18, 2010 3:40:38 PM

w/e man anyways it was a simple fix i let it sit all night not even one bar when i woke up i said screw it ill wait, and turned off my comp (my comp has a boot pass on it and a bios lock) when my mom woke up i told her what i did and i said im gonna restart so she put the password in and i ran it and it updated once and said (error) deleted steamnew.exe but file is still there press ok to continue i clicked ok and it closed the updater i did it like 5 more times

until finally the looks of the updater changed and it did it and i was able to login so cod 4 mw2 here i come!
m
l
!