Civilization V is a Return to Form for PC Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulcan900

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Whenever I think of strategy games, the first thing that comes to my mind is Age of Empires. It was simply the best.

Moshu78

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]vulcan900[/nom]Whenever I think of strategy games, the first thing that comes to my mind is Age of Empires. It was simply the best.[/citation]

That's because you're not old enough to remember the original civilizations. AoE was just a Microsoft clone. CIV forever! ;)

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I've only played Civ 4 but damn does Civ 5 look amazing, I seriously can't wait to get my hands on this godlike game. A must buy for any PC gamer ...you dont even have to pirate it because the quality of the game and epicness of it is guaranteed so you don't think you'll be left with a shitty games in your hands and $49 wasted. gogo buy it!

hannibal

Distinguished
The new hex based map and tweaked fight system sounds really good! If the battless are more strategially involving, this will be a dream...
if I only could find enough time to this... well the sleeping is ower estimated hobby at best...

G

This game should help me soldier through until SWTOR, a given buy by any measure.

ezz777

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Ok, yes massive Civ fan BUT... ok anyone reading on... the promo looks essentially Civ 4 in hex. What is going to make us move beyond the too many hours i've invested in Civ 4?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I still remember Civilization before it was a computer game. It wasn't that good, and neither was Civ 1, but Civ 2 really turned the game around and made it much more engaging and extremely addicting.

This game has probably broken up more relationships than blue-eyed blondes with large breasts. I remember ignoring my girlfriends (even more than normal) while staying up all night and into the morning, and then having to head to work without sleep. It's amazing how you'd think it was 11:00 PM and then you'd see the Sun rising - if nothing else this game proves time isn't a constant.

G

the best thing in civ2 was that you could turn the himalaya and sahara to green farmland :)

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]vulcan900[/nom]Whenever I think of strategy games, the first thing that comes to my mind is Age of Empires. It was simply the best.[/citation]
AoE, while had nice graphics for its time, is a clickfest. It can not even come close to CIV in strategic depth. (I did like AoE too, but comparing it with Civ, feels like insult to Civ)

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I've been waiting for this game for like a year and half after I stopped playing Civ 4 + mods. I wish they would make a 64 bit version to take advantage of the large amount of memory most people have now.

Civ 4 isn’t any faster on quad core + 8GB RAM.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Moshu78[/nom]That's because you're not old enough to remember the original civilizations. AoE was just a Microsoft clone. CIV forever![/citation]
Not true. Both Civ and AOE series are very good games. They have different mix of resources gathering and combat but they are both very fun.

On the other hand, I never liked Star Craft that much....

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
list of epic strategy games IMO

Civilization
StarCraft

list of great strategy games IMO

Call to Power (great for its time)
Supreme Commander (1 and 2 but for different reasons IMO it borderlines the epic category but it hasn't been out long enough for me to call it such)
WarCraft I (yea, i'm not into the WarCraft series but the first one was great, for its time)
Chess (yea yea, not what you would think)
Shogi (great game if you know how to play)
Go (Ancient game, but its very deep if you get into it)

Good strategy games IMO

AOE (it was very involved for when it came out)

the last three are board games, but you have to admit great strategy games nonetheless, i left out command and conquer but i admit it is good, i just don't like it. i leave out WarCraft 2,3 because they were bad in their own ways (exactly the same units per race, and heros respectively). I've also heard company of hero's is good but I've not played it. warhammer 40k i didn't like the first one, I've yet to play the second.

I might have missed a few games but it is probably because I've yet to play them.

motz

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I've played all the Civs since #2 and will probably buy this one too. But every time they announce a new one I feel a flare of anger at the fact that they didn't spend their development time creating Alpha Centauri II instead. A.C. was a simply phenomenal Sci-fi version of Civilization that has been screaming out for a sequel for years now. Maybe we'll get that next? I'm not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.