new upgrade hell - need fast help

evilgareth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
i am trying to upgrade my motherboard (which i have complicated by having to buy new cpu after standing on my old one during change!)
however, after putting things altogether with my Ambit NF7-S2 board I keep getting an "out of range" message after BIOS, so cant get into windows.
I have a Radeon 9800 SE All-In-Wonder graphics card.
HELP ME!!!!!!!
WHAT DO IT DO!!!!

evilgareth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
ok tried it on different monitor. now it goes to the stage where i get the options to start windows normally, safe mode etc.
however, whatever option i pick it just restarts the pc bac to memory test bit.

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh i will through this thing out the window and buy a mac if nobody can help me!!!

evilgareth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
ok tried it on different monitor. now it goes to the stage where i get the options to start windows normally, safe mode etc.
however, whatever option i pick it just restarts the pc bac to memory test bit.
is there something on the board set up ive done wrong or do i need to change omething in bios?

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh i will through this thing out the window and buy a mac if nobody can help me!!!

pat

Expert
did you try to clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS either by removing the battery for 2-3 minutes or with the jumpers? Be sure to unplug the power from the wall outlet during that.

then give it a new try

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

evilgareth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
how would i do it with the jumpers? do i need to switch it on with the jumper in clear?
i am maybe a bit to dumb to have attempted changing the motherboard!
i just dont get how everything in bios seems fine, ut then that out of range message appears

evilgareth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
tried taking out the battery but (even though it did reset bios) still getting the out of range message. or just resetting consantly with different monitor
this sucks cause i really dont wanna spend xmas eve trying to get some pro to fix it (to astronomial cost)

If you're using more than 1 stick of memory, try just one, or reseat the memory in a different slot. Hold the "del" key and use the "load optimal default" or safe settings in the bios. What power supply are you using?

evilgareth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
found the cure - i "repaired" windows. booted from cd and repaired current install. the problem none is that the windows xp disc i was given is an old copy which wont allow updates (wasnt the one i had on the system!)!!!
so the machine is working but i now need to get an other win xp cd so that i can get things like service pack 1 (usb 2.0) and other updates

cheers for your help

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
i am trying to upgrade my motherboard (which i have complicated by having to buy new cpu after standing on my old one during change!)
LOL! That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.