Sign in with
Your question

Asus k2k/2 rambus motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
December 23, 2004 2:51:06 PM

I purchased an older Asus motherboard (socket 370) from Ebay that was listed as model "K2K/S". After searching Asus.com, and inquiring from their support, I was told there is no such model. There is a model CUC2 which appears to be identical.

I tried to install the motherboard but the system panel connectors (i.e., for the ATX power switch, reset etc.) are not present - they only have soder points, so there is nowhere to plug the leads into. Does anyone have this board - or have advice how to install. Any help would be appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2004 10:53:59 PM

Scan the board on a scanner and send me the image. It's probably an OEM board for a major OEM, and probably has a custom header somewhere.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 24, 2004 1:42:23 PM

Thanks - I appreciate your help. Here is a link to a photo of the board taken from the seller's ebay post:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...

As you can see in the photo there are just soder points where the panel pin headers should be (which are partly obscured by the "justdeals.com"). The writing on the motherboard where I would expect the pin headers to be says - speaker, power switch, etc.

You'll also note that there is a pin header just below the blue dip switches which I suspect might be the panel pin headers - but they don't seem to work either.

I'm thinking of just sodering the wires right onto the board - this would be a last resort.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(I couldn't figure out how to paste the photo into this message).
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2004 7:54:42 PM

Don't tell me you paid $29 for that thing! Do you even have RAMBUS RAM? Because the price difference between that and SDRAM would be more than the cost of the board!

OK, I have good news: I've actually soldered in pin headers before. How? Simple: I desoldered pins off a junk board and soldered them into the other board.

Now, you'll want to verify the blank header works first: Connect a power supply, CPU, video card and RAM to the board. I'm fairly certain you'll need all the RAM slots filled, either with RIMMs (Rambus Inline Memory Modules) or CRIMMs (Continuity RIMMs). CRIMMs pass the signal to the end of the bus.

Once it's set up to test, you can use a flathead screwdriver to jump the solder points where the power switch pins should have been. If it fires up, those solder points are a good place to add pins.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 24, 2004 9:47:17 PM

I paid $5.00 - the guy I bought it from paid $29. The $5.00 I paid is probably too much though! I have a stick of Rambus ram and a crimm module so I'll try to test the soder points with a screwdriver - I didn't even think of that. I have a few old boards kicking around I can take a pin header from. I'll post the results here.
!