Using the onboard raid as a ATA 133 controller

than

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
Hi, Guys:

I have P4 2.26GHz with Asus P4B533-E MB. I use one 160GB Maxtor as the OS drive. Would like use my old 120GB WD HD as a storage backup. I know you can set the onboard raid as a ATA controller. Would anyone give me some details how to set up like that? Thanks.

Happy Holiday!

than

kyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Just make sure you have the onboard Raid turned on in your BIOS. Hook up the second drive to the primary connection on the raid controller. Don't set up any kind of raid array during boot up. Just make sure your onboard raid driver is installed and windows will see it as just another hard drive. Pretty simple.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
He is not trying to set up a RAID array. Some boards came with on board PATA RAID controllers and you could use them either for RAID or simply as extra PATA connections.

le_grande_banane

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
No you wouldn''t wipe out data on BOTH your drives. Just the drive you are synching your data to.
In the instance of this person with the 160 GB & 120 GB HDD, he could set up either a RAID 0 (stripping) or RAID 1 (Mirroring). In each instance the RAID would be a maximum of the smallest drive.
I use 2 x Maxtor 80GB HDD using the on-board Promise controller set as a RAID 1 setup. It works a dream and I have already replaced one failed HDD and the replacement was simply synched across on bootup.... could't be happier (appart from losing a HDD!)

I surf the internet with a Commodore 64 - Just watch that baby go!