Why fuse in computer power cables(leads)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware, sci.electronics.repair, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, sci.electronics.misc, sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

In India power leads for computers do not have any fuse in them, 5amp
or 13amp.

Do not know about USA but in UK these leads have fuse in them, mostly
5amp.

What can happen in a Computer that will cause fuse in cable to blow up?

HP sells its servers with power cable that cannot have fuse in the
cable.

What could be HP's assumption?
14 answers Last reply
More about fuse computer power cables leads
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware, sci.electronics.repair, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, sci.electronics.misc, sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    CJT wrote:
    > shorts

    Short circuiting in a cmputer that is running continuously for years in
    Datawarehouse should be very rare I believe.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware, sci.electronics.repair, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, sci.electronics.misc, sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    In the environment of Datawarehouse chances of cable getting cut and
    short circuiting should be highly unlikely.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware, sci.electronics.repair, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, sci.electronics.misc, sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    Can you please explain "ring main GPO ccts"?
    I am totally nontechnical.

    Regards
    Nagesh
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    nagesh_pandher@hotmail.com wrote:
    > In India power leads for computers do not have any fuse in them, 5amp
    > or 13amp.
    >
    > Do not know about USA but in UK these leads have fuse in them, mostly
    > 5amp.
    >
    > What can happen in a Computer that will cause fuse in cable to blow up?

    shorts

    > HP sells its servers with power cable that cannot have fuse in the
    > cable.

    that probably varies by country to satisfy local laws

    > What could be HP's assumption?

    it's probably following the law

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > nagesh_pandher@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> In India power leads for computers do not have any fuse in them, 5amp
    >> or 13amp.
    >>
    >> Do not know about USA but in UK these leads have fuse in them, mostly
    >> 5amp.
    >>
    >> What can happen in a Computer that will cause fuse in cable to blow up?
    >
    > shorts
    >>
    >> HP sells its servers with power cable that cannot have fuse in the
    >> cable.
    >
    > that probably varies by country to satisfy local laws
    >

    >> What could be HP's assumption?
    >>
    > it's probably following the law
    >
    > --
    > The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    > minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.

    I think you will find the fuse is also there to protect the cable as well
    encase its cut through or a short on the cable the fuse does not just
    protect the computer
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    nagesh_pandher@hotmail.com wrote:

    >>nagesh_pandher@hotmail.com wrote:
    >

    >>>What can happen in a Computer that will cause fuse in cable to blow
    >
    > up?
    >
    > CJT wrote:
    >
    >>shorts
    >

    > Short circuiting in a cmputer that is running continuously for years in
    > Datawarehouse should be very rare I believe.

    That's why the fuses don't blow very often.

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    CJT wrote:
    > nagesh_pandher@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> In India power leads for computers do not have any fuse in them, 5amp
    >> or 13amp.
    >>
    >> Do not know about USA but in UK these leads have fuse in them, mostly
    >> 5amp.
    >>
    >> What can happen in a Computer that will cause fuse in cable to blow up?
    >

    > shorts
    >

    >> HP sells its servers with power cable that cannot have fuse in the
    >> cable.
    >

    > that probably varies by country to satisfy local laws
    >

    >> What could be HP's assumption?
    >>
    > it's probably following the law

    Probably due to India having Fault-current-relays? like rest of Europe,
    not the deadly dangerous anitique system as in UK. Detects if current is
    equal in & out of house (live & 0 wires)....if greater than treshold
    (like if you grap the live wire, mine´s 30 mA) it trips & saves your
    life.....not needing it to be a true shortcuirt.

    Normally dont reply on such a X-poster...but hey why not might save his
    life :))))))))

    Best regards

    ChipMIK, expecting some serious shouting from you UK-guys :)
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    > Probably due to India having Fault-current-relays? like rest of Europe,
    > not the deadly dangerous anitique system as in UK. Detects if current is
    > equal in & out of house (live & 0 wires)....if greater than treshold
    > (like if you grap the live wire, mine´s 30 mA) it trips & saves your
    > life.....not needing it to be a true shortcuirt.
    > ChipMIK, expecting some serious shouting from you UK-guys :)
    Too true - my personal opinion is that the UK is an awful lot safer than the
    US.
    Current imbalance trips are pretty standard around here (south uk);
    individually fused plugs; plugs that make it diffcult to disconnect by just
    pulling the cable;
    man sized 240V instead of the wimpy 110v ... ;)))
    tee hee
    Neil
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    Neil wrote:

    >> Probably due to India having Fault-current-relays? like rest of Europe,
    >> not the deadly dangerous anitique system as in UK. Detects if current is
    >> equal in & out of house (live & 0 wires)....if greater than treshold
    >> (like if you grap the live wire, mine´s 30 mA) it trips & saves your
    >> life.....not needing it to be a true shortcuirt.
    >> ChipMIK, expecting some serious shouting from you UK-guys :)
    > Too true - my personal opinion is that the UK is an awful lot safer than
    > the US.

    Don't look now but US building codes _require_ ground fault interrupters
    anywhere that there's a significant risk of a short to something other than
    the neutral.

    > Current imbalance trips are pretty standard around here (south uk);
    > individually fused plugs; plugs that make it diffcult to disconnect by
    > just pulling the cable;
    > man sized 240V instead of the wimpy 110v ... ;)))

    Hey, we've got all the 240 we want. We just don't waste it on clock radios
    and electric pencil sharpeners.

    Normal residential service in the US is 240. We split it to get two 120V
    phases, but the 240 is there any time we have a real use for it.

    The simple fact is that you Brits are going to defend your quaint way of
    life to the death, and that's as it should be.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "Kevin R" <dontemailme@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > > nagesh_pandher@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >> In India power leads for computers do not have any fuse in them, 5amp
    > >> or 13amp.
    > >>
    > >> Do not know about USA but in UK these leads have fuse in them, mostly
    > >> 5amp.
    > >>
    > >> What can happen in a Computer that will cause fuse in cable to blow up?
    > >
    > > shorts
    > >>
    > >> HP sells its servers with power cable that cannot have fuse in the
    > >> cable.
    > >
    > > that probably varies by country to satisfy local laws
    > >

    > >> What could be HP's assumption?
    > >>
    > > it's probably following the law
    > >
    > > --
    > > The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    > > minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
    >
    > I think you will find the fuse is also there to protect the cable as well
    > encase its cut through or a short on the cable the fuse does not just
    > protect the computer

    Dont forget the UK has a lot of ring main GPO ccts, so thats why they use
    the fused plugtops.

    --
    Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    <nagesh_pandher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | In India power leads for computers do not have any fuse in them, 5amp
    | or 13amp.

    Same in most countries.

    | Do not know about USA but in UK these leads have fuse in them, mostly
    | 5amp.

    It's UK law. Even a wall clock which draws 2 W must have a fuse.

    Did you really need to cross post this to all these groups?

  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.basics (More info?)

    nagesh_pandher@hotmail.com writes:

    > Can you please explain "ring main GPO ccts"?
    > I am totally nontechnical.

    Here is some explanation of UK wiring (from www.epanorama.net):

    UK wiring is somewhat special case. The UK is unusual in having fused
    plugs as standard (according BS1363 parts 2 and 4). 13A max in
    eachplug, and 30A at the panel for each ring. Maximum current at wall
    outlet in the UK is for 13A. The plugs carry a fuse holder and the
    fuse should be rated to suit the appliance used (fuse rating from 1A
    up to 13A exist). The fuse in the plug is for protecting the cable to
    the appliance, not the appliance itself. For the latter, the appliance
    would have its own fuse (or other suitable protection means). Neutral
    is neither switched nor "protected". UK mains plugs are polarized. In
    the UK, a wiring system known as a ring mains is used. UK standard
    (for the last 30 years or so) has been the ring -main (domestic and
    commercial) rated at 30/32A @230V. A single cable runs all the way
    round part of a house interconnecting all of the wall outlets. This
    will be protected by one large fuse in the fuse box. A typical house
    will have three or four such rings. The power rings are normally
    protected by a 30 amp fuse and the lighting rings by 5 or 10 amp
    fuses. Those fuses protect the wiring, not the appliances so, every
    appliance carries its own fuse in the plug.

    The design philosophy of e.g. the German system (Schuko) is that a room
    (or a small number of rooms) has a 10 A or 16A fuse in the consumer
    unit, and all leads and plugs are designed to withstand any
    short-circuit current that will not yet blow the fuse (today usually
    circuit breakers are used, not fuses). If a fault occurs, a circuit
    breaker is trivial to reset, The fuses are generally in the main
    distribution panel. The fuse inside equipment will provide the
    protection agains constant overload. This equipment fuse is rated
    based on the power the equipment might take, and the wire
    going to equipment must be thick enough to handle that load current
    that this fuse can pass before breaking.

    --
    Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
    http://www.epanorama.net/

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Tomi Holger Engdahl <then@solarflare.cs.hut.fi> wrote:
    > nagesh_pandher@hotmail.com writes:

    >> Can you please explain "ring main GPO ccts"?
    >> I am totally nontechnical.

    > Here is some explanation of UK wiring (from www.epanorama.net):

    > UK wiring is somewhat special case. The UK is unusual in having fused
    > plugs as standard (according BS1363 parts 2 and 4). 13A max in
    > eachplug, and 30A at the panel for each ring. Maximum current at wall
    > outlet in the UK is for 13A. The plugs carry a fuse holder and the
    > fuse should be rated to suit the appliance used (fuse rating from 1A
    > up to 13A exist). The fuse in the plug is for protecting the cable to
    > the appliance, not the appliance itself. For the latter, the appliance
    > would have its own fuse (or other suitable protection means). Neutral
    > is neither switched nor "protected". UK mains plugs are polarized. In
    > the UK, a wiring system known as a ring mains is used. UK standard
    > (for the last 30 years or so) has been the ring -main (domestic and
    > commercial) rated at 30/32A @230V. A single cable runs all the way
    > round part of a house interconnecting all of the wall outlets. This
    > will be protected by one large fuse in the fuse box. A typical house
    > will have three or four such rings. The power rings are normally
    > protected by a 30 amp fuse and the lighting rings by 5 or 10 amp
    > fuses. Those fuses protect the wiring, not the appliances so, every
    > appliance carries its own fuse in the plug.

    > The design philosophy of e.g. the German system (Schuko) is that a room
    > (or a small number of rooms) has a 10 A or 16A fuse in the consumer
    > unit,

    That fuse would be in the fuse box on tha wall. 10A for light, 16A
    for power outlets and e.g. 3*25A for an electric stove.

    > and all leads and plugs are designed to withstand any
    > short-circuit current that will not yet blow the fuse (today usually
    > circuit breakers are used, not fuses). If a fault occurs, a circuit
    > breaker is trivial to reset, The fuses are generally in the main
    > distribution panel. The fuse inside equipment will provide the
    > protection agains constant overload. This equipment fuse is rated
    > based on the power the equipment might take, and the wire
    > going to equipment must be thick enough to handle that load current
    > that this fuse can pass before breaking.

    Actually there is no requirement for a fuse in the equipment itself,
    depending on what type of equipment it is and what kind of cable it
    has. If it has 1.5mm^2 cabeling, then the main fuse is enough, since
    the wires in the wall are also 1.5mm^2 and these are rated for 16A
    continous current and several thousands for a short duration
    short-circuit. It is also permissible to use lighter cables
    (0.75mm^2) for lighter equipment. This type of cable should
    still be able to stand 16A for some time.

    For the british system in equipment without a fuse in the plug
    you would need something like 1.5mm^2 cables to all types of
    equipment. A 0.75mm^2 cable would likely have problems at 32A.
    Remember that power goes with the square of the current in
    cables, so the 0.75mm^2 cable would actually get heated up
    four times as trong as it would in germany with current that
    just about does not blow the fuse.

    As a result the british need additional fuses in thinner cables.
    I would guess that for 2.5mm^2 cables the british can do without
    the fuse in the plug.

    Arno

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:28:36 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Normal residential service in the US is 240. We split it to get two 120V
    >phases, but the 240 is there any time we have a real use for it.

    ??? Actually, the normal domestic USA phase voltage is nominally 115V
    (110-120V). If (hypothetically speaking) a building were to be
    supplied with a single phase service that would be the voltage
    supplied. The 240V supply is achieved by combining 2 separate 120V
    phases but it is not correct to say that the normal domestic supply is
    240V.

    In other countries such as Australia the normal domestic supply is
    240V single phase.

Hewlett Packard SCI Cable Power Electronic Hardware Computers