russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I got a deal (I think) on a compaq preserio S6020WM system...$250 it was returned to the retailer.ANYWAY I've been all over the web trying to find info on the MoBo,MST MS-6577 r3.1....I cant find info on the jumper settings to play with overclocking. The bios is of no help as it dos'nt offer options to change any settings on voltage FSB or mutplier.The system came FSB @ 100MHZ X 26.0 and voltage is 1.5v.
Can anyone tell me if this thing is going to come out to play and let me OC it????

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek: </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by russell on 12/26/04 01:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry d00d, MSI makes OEM boards with special model numbers for several OEMs. You might be able to find a retail board with the same configuration if you look at a lot of pictures.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Oh well thats what I was afraid of, THANKS CRASH...This thing has a short case too, I may just use one of the cases from my cannabelazation (did'nt spell that right)and get a new board to fit that chip and will upgrade to a 478 AMD CPU LATER.GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek: </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00058048" target="_new">Here's your board</A> 26x100 indicates a Celeron 2.6GHz (400MHz data rate CPU bus). I wouldn't bother messing with this thing much: If you're interested you might find a cheap replacement board with an AGP slot to do a video card upgrade, that's about as far as I'd go. No AMD processors for the P4/Celeron Socket 478.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Yea thats right, had my head inserted...I was thinking P4 but will probally go to a full size case

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek: </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're moving to a full-sized case, you might also consider a full-sized board with an AGP slot. A cheap OEM board is available at various places for as little as $32. It's a good board (i865PE, dual channel, SATA, firewire, etc) but again, no overclocking: the Gigabyte GA-8ISXT-FS, OEM for Fujitsu-Siemens PC's.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I want to overclock and be able to upgrade the CPU, I hav'nt looked yet but I would value your suggestion....I also would like it to have onboard video and a AGP slot if there is such a thing..bios controled FSB,voltage & multiplyer too.and I guess USB connections are the norm now.
I checked out the GA-8ISXT-FS....sweet

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek: </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by russell on 12/26/04 07:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

gigabyte makes a good board, good bios options. i had one for a little while. then i bought crash's asus, :wink: also alot of options. is this going to be a gaming machine or what?

"Never underestimate the predictability of Stupidity."
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Neurotic Narcissist.}=-</A>
<font color=blue>R.I.P. O.D.B.</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, well, that being the case, I'm going to let you in on something: The system you have is a fairly good cheap system. The CPU isn't great, but it's more than most people need. The board isn't great, but it's better than most people need. My guess is, the rest of the parts follow that pattern. So what if you upgrade the board and CPU? Then you might want to start upgrading everything else too!

Your best option is to keep this thing stock and consider piecing a different system together separately.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I play flight sim. and it handles it fine now.I am going to have to do this one componet at a time (budget) so I thought that I'd start with a mobo that will support a CPU upgrade later,ie. good chipset mem support agp slot, bios control over the FSB ETC...was just talking to my brother,he JUST bought a 3200+ system by Compaq :mad:

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
in reply to
Your best option is to keep this thing stock and consider piecing a different system together separately
Yes I think your right, i have the rack, hard drives cd rom power supply etc from the dumpster systems :lol: .
I need to find some CHEAP used 256MB ddr mem. first thing!!!

cammiso94

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
i have the same motherboard, the only diff is that mine came from a hp pavilion a255c. i have a CPU that runs stock at 2.66 GHz. i got a program called CPUFSB9, and overclocked my CPU to about 3.4 GHz. my computer with windows 7, rated a 3.6, lowest being CPU speed. now, @ 3.4 GHz, it rates a 4.8 on windows 7.

my config:
MSI-6577
Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.4 GHz
2 GB 3200 RAM
nvidia geforce 7800 gs oc
180 GB 7200 RPM HDD
case: cooler-master elite 310

windows 7 ratings

Processor: 4.8
Memory: 5.0
graphics: 7.9
gaming graphics: 7.1