Minimum Bf BC2 performance online

Ivanus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hello,
My computer mets all the minimum system requirements for Bad Company 2, but not the recomended. If I lower all settings to minimum, can I play this game relativly lag-free online in multiplayer with 1 Mbps internet speed?
I don't expect a perfect gameplay I just want it to be "playeble".
I like this game but I wouldn't like to buy it just for the singleplayer.
Sorry for my bad english,I am from Belgrade.

Ivanus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
My specs are:

some Dual core CPU (I don't know exactly but it should be over 3GHz)
2 GB RAM
256 MB Graphics card ATI Radeon something..
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) I could change this if needed :)

Right now I'm not using that computer (so I can't tell you exactly what I have,but I think this is enought info) because it is not ready yet but it should be complete in 2 day's.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
hmm maybe. dual core will be fine, but your graphics card better be fairly awesome. I using a 512 9800gtx and it runs decent.

try battlefield 2...in all ways excepting for graphics...its better.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
oh didnt realize you were talking about internet speeds....since you gave your system specs.

I also play with a slightly slower than 1mbps connection and it works great. There will always be a server nearby unless you live in Antarctica.

see you on the battlefield.

Ivanus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

I have Battlefield 2 too :)
I just thought I could make up for my graphic card by lowering all the visual settings to minimum (cause I don't think it's that important as long I get to kick some ass(with some practise) :). Thanks to your replys, now I know that my internet speed will not be the problem,but will lowering the visuals do the trick?

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
you haven't told us your exact system specs.

What model is the graphics card exactly?

Bfbc2 is a fairly demanding game. You could most likely lower all the settings and play fine, but at that point battlefield 2 would just be a much better game especially since ur PC can handle it at 1650*900 or whatever.

seriously I know you want to try it out because its somewhat different, but its really not. Its a bit quicker of a game (like COD4, but not quite that small maps) and uses basically the same weaponry and vehicles. Vehicles are much more fun in bf2.

squading up and teamwork is made easy in both games, but actual team-play does not occur in bfbc2. Thats where battlefield 2 really separates itself into awesome. Its more like a combat simulator where bfbc2 is an ADD kid's eye candy.

Ivanus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I have an: integrated ATI Radeon™2100 graphics processor with max. 256MB of shared memory, supports RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85Hz.
Soo...?

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
probably because of the space limitations involved in fitting significant graphics hardware into your motherboard.

Modern high end graphics cards are the size of shoeboxes and take up 1-3 of your PCI-e slots.

fistymcbeefpunch

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
BC2 is more processor dependent than gpu dependent. Granted, you still need a fairly decent graphics card. If you're only runnin dual cores, you should at least have a really good overclocked cpu

xtzclassic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

I agree.

I am playing this game on an E6850 clocked to 3.7 ghz but the cpu still is my limitation. I am considering a quad core, because the game chokes when there is a lot going on. Dual Core by my opinion is not good enough if you demand some fps. Mine is at 50-70 in good times, then it chokes to 35-40 with serious lagging. Playable, but not nice, or eyecandy... I have a ATI 4870 which should do the game no prob, but the GPU utilization becomes down to 40 percent when the CPU chokes. So if I turn down settings it still laggs, so it is not the graphics card.

My recommendation: Core 2 Quad or better.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
yep, thread was solved several weeks back. Thanks for your input guys. Much more easily summed up on the box where it sez system requirements, but yeah...thanks.

ebevan91

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I upgraded from a 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo to a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad and noticed double in framerate when my settings are low. I can run my settings on all medium now better than I could run them on low-medium settings. Also having a better internet connection helps. I just went from a 1.5Mbps down/~250k up to a 32Mbps down/4MB up connection this past weekend. I noticed I get about 5-10 more frames per second on average now with better internet as well.

At "idle" the total system power consumption is around 140/150w and "load" at around 315/325w so with a decent 500w you have more than enough power ;)