Device ID out of range?

zargian

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
My dad's motherboard failed and I decided it would be fun to replace it. I got the exact same motherboard (pulled from another computer) and hooked everything up to the new board. Everything worked perfectly without reinstalling the OS, drivers, etc. I was very happy.

But now when we try to use anything having to do with the sound card we get an error message that says something to the effect that the Device ID is out of the range of the system.

What? How? Huh?

I checked in the Device Manager and the "Sound, Video, Game controllers" appears to be working fine. But there is a big yellow ? on the "Other PCI" icon. I reinstalled the drivers that came with my original board.

I don't know much about IRQ... could that be the problem? And how do I fix it?

Thanks

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
You should give some extra info on the system.

Only thing I can say now:

In the BIOS there might be an option: Plug and play OS installed, should be YES.
Might also look like: Resources managed by BIOS/OS, should be OS.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I always set PNP OS to NO because that setting allows BIOS to allocate IRQ's.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I've had some trouble with BIOS-assigns on old systems (and Windows fixing the problem, wow) but as usual, the message is, try both options...

zargian

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
mobo = Intel 815EEA, built in audio
CPU = 600 MHz Celeron
OS = Windows 98
RAM = 256MB PC133

What other info is useful?

The mobo could have one of 2 built in sound cards (Creative Labs or Analog Devices Inc. SoundMAX) and I have tried installing both drivers. I have tried PnP on and off. I can't figure out how to change the IRQ or device ID or any of the numbers associated with the sound card.

Could it be that the the software is looking for the sound card in a different place? Do I need to reinstall the audio software (winamp, Nero, etc), drivers, OS? Is there an order here... do the drivers need to be installed before the software?

ahhhhhh

pat

Expert
so you'll spend 2-3 days to figure out the problem when a simple 1 hours windows install will have done it....What a waste of time. Do a backup of his personal data and reinstall the OS. You may try a repair too first, but a fresh install is still beter.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
If you don't want to do a complete reinstall, and replacing pci cards wont work, you can also remove all sound devices or disable them in the BIOS, remove ALL drivers, reboot and make sure all the drivers really are gone, reinstall/enable soundcard and reinstall the drivers.

zargian

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
Thanks tweeble. That is pretty much what I ended up doing. Everything seems to work fine. I am picking up a bit more noise through the line in, but I don't think there is anything I can do.

And YES PAT, I will gladly give my dad 2-3 days of my time to avoid doing a complete reinstall... especially considering the guy has a hard time navigating a simple file path to find his files. Inevitably there would be something he stuck somewhere that I couldn't find to back up.

Plus I learned a bunch.

peas